Alex Trebek Has Passed Away From Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer

He passed away peacefully with his friends and family by his side.

4340

Beloved host of "Jeopardy!" Alex Trebek has passed away from stage 4 pancreatic cancer at the age of 80.

Jeopardy! is saddened to share that Alex Trebek passed away peacefully at home early this morning, surrounded by fa… https://t.co/I8GuVbsvPY— Jeopardy! (@Jeopardy!)1604856442.0

Trebek was the host of the game show for 35 years and was a household name in America. He revealed his diagnosis in March 2019 and released a statement the following July:

"I feel the need to clarify my quote that, if my course of cancer treatment does not continue to work, I would consider stopping treatment. That quote from the book was written BEFORE my current regimen, and I was going through some bad times. My current numbers are very good, but we will have to be patient with this new immunotherapy program that I am on. But, if it were to stop being successful, I would return to my previous chemo treatment -- NOT stop all treatment. I apologize for any confusion, and want everyone to know that I am optimistic about my current plan, and thank them for their concerns."

This past September, Trebek came back to the show as its host after a hiatus as a result of his cancer.

The news is unfortunate and another huge loss for many Americans in 2020 after the loss of cultural icons like Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Kobe Bryant.

For his final show, Trebek talked about what he wanted his final words to be.

Alex Trebek wrote a memoir about his battle with pancreatic cancer called "The Answer Is... Reflections On My Life." He passed away peacefully with his friends and family by his side.