Alex Smith And The Great Coincidence

Alex Smith And The Great Coincidence

Alex Smith's injury gave Joe Theismann the replay he wished to never see on November 18th.

145

If you are any sort of sports fan or strong relationship with one, you may have witnessed what now seems to be an unrealistic repeat of history. November 18th, 2018- exactly 33 years after Joe Theismann's great injury-to the day, Alex Smith's leg snapped and Joe Theismann witnessed the replay he never wished to see.

A major family movie in my home growing up was The Blind Side. At the beginning of the movie is the famous tackle of Lawrence Taylor towards Theismann. This play has always stuck out as one that no one wishes to see again. The thoughts afterward are scary regarding your career and family members can only be worrisome.

This possible life-changing play has more than just the date in similarities. Both Theismann and Smith were taken down at the 40-yard line. Not only that, but the final score of both games ended out 23-21. This incident may be the one to convince you that history finds a way to repeat itself even when it's an unnatural occurrence. To add to the similarities, both quarterbacks finished their seasons with 301 attempts.

Theismann's injury occurred at a point in time when technology was still advancing and learning more ways to improve recoveries. In 2018, technology has reached advancement and athletic training specialists have expressed they hope to get Smith on a path where his football career may not be put to an abrupt stop.

At the moment, details of the injury are as follows. Smith broke his tibia and fibula, but because of the bone breaking through the skin, he also suffered a spiral fracture in his leg. Although Smith is predicted to be sidelined six – eight months, Dr. David Chao, who was previously the team doctor for the Chargers, does not see this injury as being career-ending.

The six – eight months off for recovery could bring frustration and hard-times, but also come reap some benefits. Taking time away from a passion within your life can be difficult but with it also allows for more time with those who love you support you. His wife and two sons will have more opportunity to spend with their father and their home life can help had positivity to this hardship.

I hope for a smooth and graceful recovery to Smith and pray technology has improved enough to get him back on the field if that is what he desires.

I also hope history stops repeating itself and keeps accidents in the past, to remain in the past.