A Letter To My Younger Brother

A Letter To My Younger Brother

From someone who will always love you.

5
Brittani Kelly

Dear Bryce,

First of all, I'd like to apologize that I went to college so far away from home. Far enough that I can't drive home every weekend to see you play football and do what you do best. It kills me on the inside to know that I'm missing out on that for the first time in years, but I'm still cheering you on from campus.

I do miss you though, although I don't call you as much as I want to you, I know you have school and practice and have to fit playing 2K into that mix somewhere. But don't be afraid to call me, I'll always pick up, even if you don't have anything good to say.

That's what siblings are for.

On a less joking note though, I'm writing this publicly so other girls with black younger brothers have something to relate to. I want you to be safe, I want you to understand what dangers are outside right now. The stigma that you, yourself, a 10 year old boy, is a threat to society is one that shouldn't make any sense, but you need to understand it.

I know you hear the talk of all the black men and women dying all the time, because it's just so prominent and without cause, that nobody can fully grasp why it's happening. It is a very scary time for you to be growing up, it's not something I want you to be a part of or have to know about.

Sadly, I'm here to tell you that the world is not just made up of football and rainbows and video games, outside is scary and not there to protect you. I need you to learn that fast.

I need you to know that you don't have to be another hashtag, because I will make sure that by the time you are my age, you will not have to learn the fear that the police might not be interested in helping you, but instead might want to harm you.

I am going to try to make the world a better place for you to grow up in, so that way, you can help our sister have a better life than the two of us combined.

I'm sorry I can't be there to tell you in person, but I think that this might be a better way to tell you, something that everyone can read so they too, know what it's like for me to worry about you getting hurt and me not being able to help you.

I shouldn't have to have this fear for you, but don't worry, I'll make it all better soon.

Pinky Promise.

Love, your sister.
Brittani.