3 R&B Albums You Didn't Know You Needed This Winter

You are bound to catch feelings this winter.

141

I can't speak for others but when it comes to daily rotations of music I listen to, the genres vary with the seasons. When summer comes around, I make sure my playlists are filled with upbeat, feel-good songs to match the mood of the season. When winter comes, I find myself listening to more R&B and Soul music to compliment the cold, dreary weather. With the temperature dropping and winter right around the corner, here are three R&B albums to keep you in your feelings all winter.

1. Daniel Caesar- Freudian

Before this school year, I hadn't ever heard of Daniel Caesar, but after listening to his debut album "Freudian," it's safe to say I am now a fan. The very first song "Get You" is the perfect introduction to an album full of romantic songs with a blend of gospel sounds. "Get You" is followed by "Best Part," featuring H.E.R. This group and Daniel harmonize together, singing about how if life is a movie then, their lover is "the best part". Over a warm minimal guitar melody, they had me singing along with just as much passion as them — to the point that if someone heard me, they would have thought I wrote the song. Another standout track is "Blessed," where Daniel hits notes with his falsetto that I was never ready for. The chorus "Yes I'm a mess, but I'm blessed to be stuck with you" has a gospel undertone that reminds me of John Legend. Being that I never listened to Daniel Caesar but love this album, I suggest you give it a listen and perhaps download it.

My Favorites: Get You, Best Part, Hold Me Down, Blessed

2. Jhenè Aiko- Trip

Unlike my discovery of Daniel Caesar, I've been a Jhenè Aiko fan for years and have been waiting for her new album since 2014. Jhenè released the album Trip with no announcement or promotion in September, and it came at the perfect time. Trip takes the listener on a journey through Aiko’s mind as she grieves the loss of her brother through strides in newfound love, hallucinogens, and self-reflection.

Although the album is lengthy with 22 songs, it isn't a grueling listen. It's actually the opposite. For all the stoners out there, one of the best songs on the album is "Sativa," featuring Swae-Lee. With Swae-Lee on the hook, he and Jhenè are a perfect pairing for a song about smoking with your significant other that is bound to get stuck in your head.

Following "Sativa" is my personal favorite, "New Balance," where Jhenè is most vulnerable and transparent. With the combo of melodious piano chords and John Mayer on guitar, its the perfect production for Jhenè to lay her feelings for the listener to hear. With lines like "some of us do deserve it, a love that's true and perfect", even the most emotionally detached listener will get in touch with their feelings after hearing "New Balance." It really is a beautiful song. Trip is one of Jhenè's best projects, and being as though it's 22 songs, I highlighted my personal favorites so you don't have to listen to all of it.

My Favorites: Sativa, New Balance, Newer Balance Freestyle, Nobody, Never Call Me, Psilocybin (Love in Full Effect)

3. DVSN- Morning After

Signed to Drake's OVO Sound, R&B duo DVSN were predestined to deliver a fire album. With PARTYNEXTDOOR and The Weeknd as current and former label mates, I knew what was in store when I downloaded Morning After from Apple Music. While a lot of recent R&B has a more electronic futuristic sound, DVSN's album sounds like a classic R&B album from the '90s. Subjects of sex, love, and relationships are all present throughout the album, just as prevalent as they are for college students during the winter season. The second track "Nuh Time/Tek Time" is a song that shows both views of a relationship or "situationship" for some.

The first part of this song is from a girl's POV and how the singer—Daniel Daley—isn't there for her when she needs him for something other than sex. The second half is from Daley's view, saying how he will always make time to be with her. Track 11, "Claim," is about Daley being back in his home city Toronto, and to his surprise, a girl he had ties with is still messing with the same no-good dudes. And how its time for him to claim her since nobody has yet. I personally related to this song because I've shared the same sentiments of Daley before, and I'm sure other guy have too. If you just got out of a relationship, or are feeling some type of way about an ex, Morning After is the soundtrack to your breakup.

My Favorites: Don't Choose, Nuh Time/Tek Time, Morning After, Claim