Alabama’s Abortion Ban Is Not Pro-Life, It’s Anti-Woman

Several states across the country have decided that women aren't allowed to have basic human rights this week, making pregnancy mandatory.

In blatant attempts to get the Supreme Court to revisit Roe v. Wade with a more conservative court leaning, women are being thrown to the wolves and told that they aren't the deciders of their own bodies.

Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Ohio and now Missouri have decided to disregard the lives of their own citizens. Their "pro-life" near-total abortion bans and heartbeat bills go so far as to disregard even rape or incest exceptions, sparking outrage nationwide.

Doctors who perform these procedures could even face felony charges and receive 99 years in prison, according to the Alabama bill just recently signed into law. In Georgia, women who miscarriage could be investigated to see if they had responsibility.

These states have decided that the unborn have more rights than women. That a clump of cells has more of a right to life than I do.

The attack on women is even more fierce now than ever, and frankly, it's exhausting.

It's exhausting that, as a woman, I have to fight to convince legislators that I'm a human being deserving of rights, that my body and what happens to it should only be decided at my discretion. It's exhausting that women have to open up all of their wounds and fight battle after battle to try to keep the government from owning our bodies.

Think of this scenario: If I were to become pregnant with a baby that I couldn't support, I wouldn't have a choice. Motherhood would be required by law.

The father of that baby, however, has absolutely no legal responsibility to stay by my side. There's no law that makes fatherhood mandatory. Men still have control over their bodies, and they always have. They've never had to fight to gain the right to vote, to be treated as an equal. For me, though, my body and sexuality are policed and controlled by other people.

You're not pro-life if you don't care about the people already alive.

The people in poverty, the homeless, the racially discriminated against, the children in foster care. You're pro-fetus, pro-womb, pro-pregnancy. You care more about that baby when it's in a woman's body more than you do about its life and wellbeing after birth.

That's disgusting, and the men who decide they can make these decisions for women are disgusting.

State legislators have decided that their own agendas are more important than what the majority of the public actually wants.

They've decided that women don't matter to them, that women don't matter at all.

Even if instances of rape and incest were excused from the bans, a woman shouldn't have to be raped for you to agree that she has control over her own body and can make her own decisions.

If it's not your body, it's not your choice. Whether you're some small town guy who votes Republican just because his parents do or you're a United States Senator, it's not your choice.

These bills are outright attacks on women, non-binary people, and trans men everywhere. If you're really pro-life, you'll care about every single living person, not just a fetus. If you're really pro-life, you'll let women have basic human rights.