Akashinga Trophy Hunting

The Akashinga: Changing The Nature Of Elephant Conservation, One African Woman At A Time

"It doesn't matter if you're my neighbor or my relative. If you mess with my animals, I will catch you."

411
Youtube screenshot
Youtube: Jeffery Barbee

If you haven't heard much about this Anti-Poaching group, nows your chance- and I promise, it'll change your mindset forever.

I actually had just been scrolling through Facebook recently, and one of those 3 minute recap videos popped up on my feed. Per usual, I wanted to procrastinate my work a little more, and the cover of the video was an elephant, so I took the click bait and settled in.

The video was short, but within the few minutes my mind was blown by the women of Akashinga. How was it possible that such an unbelievable group was so unknown to not only me, but the majority of the people around me?

I started doing some research on them, and became more impressed with every article I read.

"Akashinga is a community-driven conservation model, empowering disadvantaged women to restore and manage a network of wilderness areas as an alternative to trophy hunting".

Pretty cool, huh?

Akashinga is a fully equipped group of ALL women, and employs the most marginalized women from surrounding communities. With military based training, the women learn to become rangers and conservation managers, protecting areas subject to trophy hunting.

"I didn't have the money to support my family. I couldn't send my daughter to school ... Now, even without my husband, I can do everything myself. I've given my family the life they deserve".

The Anti-Poaching Foundation created this group, after being blown away by the progress of poor African women. Akashinga gives first priority to unemployed single mothers, wives of imprisoned poachers, widows, sex workers, victims of abuse, and other neglected groups.

Costs of the project are minimal, and 72% of the operating costs invested go directly back into the community.

No solution is immediate, but there are plans for even larger impacts through the Akashinga, and other groups under the IPF. Akashinga alone plans to recruit close to 2,000 women, and eventually patrol and protect 30 million acres of land by 2030.

"The fate of humanity is inseparable from our willingness to conserve biodiversity".

Long term sustainability is what will save our rapidly decreasing biodiversity, and the way Akashinga is set up allows the group to be funneled from the immediate community outward- creating an important support system that will combat poaching on all levels.

Empowering women is the single biggest force for positive change in the world today.

Although the group's mission statement is ending poaching, the Akashinga provides more than just security for wildlife. Increasing evidence is showing that empowering women, including those in dire circumstances, is one of the quickest ways to turn an outlook around.

These women have been mistreated and unable to stand up for themselves until given the chance- and none of this kick-ass group take the chance at a better life lightly.

Want to see for yourself? Check out an overview from the women here.

To support this project, go to their website!