'American Horror Story: Apocalypse' Might Be The Best Season Yet

Everyone needs to watch this season ASAP.

18

I have watched every season of "American Horror Story" religiously. This season was no exception. As someone who has very strong opinions on the rankings of each season in comparison with one another, I was very intrigued by the idea of a crossover season. "Apocalypse" was a crossover between my favorite season, "Murder House," and one of my least favorite seasons, "Coven." (Coven was a great season, but it felt very different from my idea of what "American Horror Story" is and should be, so I wasn't quite a fan.) From the very first episode of this season, I was hooked. This season very well could be my new favorite season.

It was action-packed.

I was on the edge of my seat for most of the season an I never knew what was coming next. There were also some massive plot twists throughout that had me shook to the core. One of my large grievances with "Asylum" was that while it was very exciting and action-packed, many of the storylines weren't finished. In "Apocalypse," it was action-packed, but everything came full circle and had a conclusion. Everything made sense in the end. The season finale brought everything to a fast-paced, exciting, and somewhat-satisfying conclusion.

The crossover brought new conclusions to old characters.

My favorite couple in the "American Horror Story" universe will forever be Violet and Tate from "Murder House." One of the episodes took place back in the murder house and their story — which left off on a fairly sour note — is continued on and brought to a different conclusion that I liked much more.

Also from "Murder House," Vivian Harmon and Tate Langdon's son, Michael Langdon, is the primary focus of "Apocalypse." He's the antichrist and with the apocalypse on the way, you know he has his hand in making it all happen. It was very cool to be able to see the extension of his storyline into his adult years.

There were many other new conclusions as well, but the witches' stories were likely the most interesting to see play out. In "Coven," we left off with Cordelia becoming the new Supreme and we got a glimpse into her reign. In this season, we got to delve more deeply into her Supreme reign and see how she tackles the end of the world, a pack of warlocks, and the antichrist himself. We also get to see how she handles the rise of a new Supreme. All of the witches of their own new conclusions in this season. We even get two new witches added to the coven in this season as well.

Finally, the cast was incredible.

The usual suspects, Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson, Kathy Bates, and others were back in many new and exciting roles as well as returning to some of their old roles. There were also some returners from next season that were particularly exciting like Billie Lourd (I hope she stays forever!) There were also some nice cameos of old characters like Angela Bassett, Jessica Lange (our queen), and Taissa Farmiga. It was nice to see the old characters interact with the new characters.

All in all, this season really might be my new favorite. It had so many interesting things going or it and it really revived the series as a whole. They were kind of on a dying streak there for a few and I am glad they were able to step up their writing game and keep the series fresh.

It will likely be a while before the series is on Netflix or DVD, but if you catch it quick enough, it was on FXNow. You need to see this season.