I'm Not Aggressively Single, I'm "Meh" Single

It's not as apathetic as it sounds.

1026
pixabay

It started out as something I said jokingly. "I'm not aggressively single, I'm 'meh' single." It was usually in response to my best friend saying she was aggressively single at the time, and people turning to me as though they expected my response to be the same. Yes, it started out as a joke. But then it turned into a valid point.

When I first heard the term aggressively single, I dissected it to find out what it meant. I've come up with a rough - and by no means official - definition: Intentionally refraining from dating or seeking out a romantic relationship.

There is something to be said for this. And more power to those of you who undertake it. I presume you do so with prayerful consideration and this is truly something God is leading you to do. Because it is precisely for that reason that I have taken up the term "meh" single.

Here's my definition: Not actively searching for a romantic relationship, nor shunning any potential that may come into the picture.

It's a misleading term, I understand. "Meh" sounds apathetic. It sounds as though I couldn't care less about whether I was in a relationship or not, or rather that I had lost any and all ability to care. This is simply not the case.

I would love to be in a relationship - or heck, even go on a date with someone. It's something I've wanted for a long time now. But the thing is, I'm not actively seeking it. I am merely open to whatever God has in mind for me.

My life does not revolve around my relationship status, nor does my relationship with God. Sometimes that's hard to keep track of on a campus where it seems like I'm seeing relationship statuses change almost every day, but when you boil it down, that's where I've ended up in life. There are more important things to be worried about than the fact that God hasn't plopped the person I'm going to end up with in my lap.

Another very apathetic-sounding word has entered my vocabulary recently: "Whatever." But it's not a sign of apathy for me. It's a sign of openness.

God has placed many opportunities in front of me this semester. He's opened quite a few doors for some passions of mine, and I can't wait to see what He does with that. And yes, when I look around and see all the "seeds of romance blossoming on the savanna," (yes, I did just quote Disney) occasionally I'll turn back to God and ask, "So, when is it my turn?"

He then points to all the next steps He's given me and says, "Let me worry about this. You focus on what I've given you."

So, no, I don't have my nose to the ground. But I'm open to whatever God's got in mind for me in the next phase of my life.

Maybe I should start calling it "whatever" singleness.