The Aggie Heart Ring

The Aggie Heart Ring

"We all believe Texas A&M is a family affair, but I also believe the Aggie Ring should be one again too."

552
The Aggie Heart Ring

Have you ever heard of an Aggie Sweetheart Ring? It was an Aggie Ring for your sweetheart. Women were not admitted to Texas A&M until April 27, 1963, so this ring served as a small token of Aggieland for them. The wearer carried the core values on her finger and was thus connected to the school; she became an honorary member of the Aggie family. However, this tradition stopped with the class of 1972, and you must be a member of that class or a previous one to order a Sweetheart Ring today. In a small way, the Sweetheart Ring made Texas A&M more inclusive, even when it was exclusively a school for men. Because let's face it, being an Aggie has almost always been a family affair.

My brother and I are third generation Aggies. My granddaddy was in the Corps of Cadets and a member of the class of 1953. My dad was a defensive end for the original Wrecking Crew and graduated in 1987. But right now, I am studying Communication and History, and my brother is studying Engineering Technology. A couple of weeks ago, Joshua met the requirements to order his Aggie Ring, and of course, it was a family affair. Our Mom, Nana, and little brother, Nicholas, came up for the day. We waited in line for an hour at the Alumni Center, but the wait was totally worth it. I was so proud when Joshua slipped on the display ring and signed the paper to confirm his order. But what I will truly never forget is when Nicholas slipped on that same display ring. He beamed. He was so proud. In that moment, he was a student, and he promptly told me, "Black one." He was asking for the antiqued ring.

Up until now, I have left some important information out. Nicholas has Down syndrome. He is 18, soon to be 19, and he will never go to Texas A&M. However, I would not stand to hear anyone say that he is any less of an Aggie. He loves this school. He loves going to football games at Kyle Field. He loves singing the Aggie War Hymn, although he only knows the, "Sounds like hell!" part. He loves throwing up a gig 'em, and he wants Miss Rev to be his personal dog. Nicholas is an Aggie, and the fact that he is represents the inclusiveness of the Aggie family.

So you can imagine how my heart broke as he asked me for the one thing he could not have. I would do anything to give him that token of Aggieland that so many of his family members wear. He just wants to be included, and I don't think that is too much to ask, which is why I propose that Texas A&M bring back the Sweetheart tradition but call it the Aggie Heart Ring. This would honor and further include the numerous handicapped members of the Aggie family—the Aggies at heart. We all believe Texas A&M is a family affair, but I also believe the Aggie Ring should be one again too.

PS: Nicholas has since changed his mind. He wants the gold finish, which he simply calls, "The yellow one."