Why Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Is Criminally Underrated

It's one of the best shows on TV

310

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., in my opinion, is one of the best things to come out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). It's about Phil Coulson who died in the first Avengers movie (spoiler alert: he comes back to life) and a small group of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. Together, they form friendships and fight bad guys which usually end up being part of their arch nemesis, Hydra.

Despite being an excellent show, it only has a 7.5 on IMDb. I'm guessing that this rating is so low because it's the kind of show you can only really appreciate if you're really into Marvel. The show often name-drops superheroes and reference events from Marvel movies.

The show is on its fifth season and just moved to airing on Friday nights, a clear sign that the end is nigh for any TV show.

I'm usually not a fan of superhero shows because they're too much action, not enough plot. But Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spends just as much time on character development as they do on fight scenes and explosions. When you watch this show, you don't just root for a side, you root for the individual characters.

This show also has a lot of heart. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has as many funny and tender moments as it does dramatic and heartbreaking ones. And although understanding the references is helpful, it's the kind of show that has something for everyone. Anyone who likes a good action show with likable characters will fall in love with this show.

And although the writing isn't exactly Shakespeare, it's still miles better than the writing on most superhero shows, and believe me, I've seen a lot of superhero shows. I also love how this show has a group cast instead of focusing on one individual hero. It allows for that many more characters to change and grow and get a lot of screentime.

And although each character is flawed and complicated you know you can always root for the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and that they'll save the day in one way or another. Sometimes, predictability is nice.