The Age Of Social Media Is The Age Of Inaction

Why the number of online RSVP's and actual attendees will never match.
20

The internet is a great place for many things: binge watching your favorite shows, accessing homework assignments and eBooks, networking with friends on social media, reading and watching news stories, and utilizing the connection to your advantage in many other ways. However, the one thing that this amazing tool seems to be lacking is improvement in the effectiveness of organizing events.

Let's use a Facebook event as an example. It's likely that if you post an event on Facebook, there may be hundreds of people who mark that they're interested. Dozens of them may even indicate they're going! But on the day of the event, the number of people in attendance often doesn't match the number of Facebook RSVP's. Why?

Indicating you're interested in or going to an event is easy on the internet. All it takes is a tap of the screen, and you've got something to add to your calendar. As the event draws closer, Facebook will remind you you're going. It pops up and you ask yourself "Is anyone else I know going?" or "Isn't that the day before my test I haven't studied for yet?" A few days pass, and you yet again forget you've RSVP'ed. The day of the event rolls around and you get a notification letting you know you have an event today. "Should I go? I marked that I was going...but I need to do [insert important thing here] today...I'll pass."

Just that quickly, a virtual RSVP turns into a no show. Will you change your response to the event? Probably not. And when the event organizers expect those dozens of Facebook attendees who marked themselves as "going" to show up, they are often disappointed. So how do we change this?

Well, the obvious answer would be to actually attend events you say you're going to attend, but as a college student, or just a regular old busy person--of which there are many in this world--that is much easier said than done. So instead, I've decided not to show interest in events I know full well I will not end up attending. Those I do show interest in will be recorded in my calendar and fully planned for, so I can lead a more committed, honest life. I don't want to be a part of the online inaction, and I certainly don't want to give false hope to event organizers who put their all their hard work into events that I say I'm "going" to but never attend.

I challenge my readers to do the same, and even if Facebook events may have fewer RSVP's, hopefully, they will be more accurate, and Facebook event organizers everywhere can breathe a little easier.