After You Cry In 2017, Remember To Laugh

New perspective for a new year.

69
New HD Wallpaper

Some time ago I heard this quote that has resonated with me deeply, “after you cry, remember to laugh.”

As I continue to grow into the person that I am and as I reach new stages of life, it becomes more and more clear to me how short life is. Just two days ago five regular people walked into an airport that they would never walk out of, a few years ago 26 children and teachers lost their lives in a school, in 2001 an act of terror killed 2,996 harmless men and women on a normal day of work. When I look at what’s going on in the world around me, not just in my own country, it scares me how much death and chaos there is. I was thinking about good resolutions for the new year, considering cutting dairy from my life and being more mindful of my finances. I wanted to do something that would impact my life for the better not just in 2017, but moving forward as well.

There are two ways we can spend the rest of our time on earth: we can survive or we can live. I want to live. Whether I live a long life or a short life, I want to have really lived it. Breathing, avoiding hunger and dehydration, avoiding illness and threatening things, fearing the unknown... it isn’t enough for me; just surviving isn’t enough for me. I want to try new foods even if they don’t sound appetizing, I want to go out and do things that terrify me, I don’t want to worry about my credit score or my student loans, I want to see the Eiffel Tower and hike the Inka Trail to Machu Picchu, I want to jump out of a plane and dive to the bottom of an ocean. I am choosing to no longer be afraid, I’m choosing life. It isn’t easy to balance being a full-time student and employee with an active social life, a family that cares about me, and involvement in activities. It causes a lot of stress and anxiety and on top of the normal emotional struggle of someone my age, life can become so overwhelming at times.

It can get you down in the blues quickly, and it isn’t always easy to climb out of the hole you dug yourself into. I know one too many people that are so young, and their sadness and troubles inhibit them from even being capable of going out and having a good time and creating memories that will last them a lifetime. I wish there was more that I could do for those people out there who are debilitated by depression and social anxiety, scarred from these tragedies of life, or even suffering from illness and disease. I remember I used to fear death so much so to the point that every single day it would stop me from doing certain things and making certain decisions.

Recently I was discussing this fear I had with a good friend and she responded with, “I think those thoughts you had and fears that worried you actually means you’re not dying anytime soon at all, because if death was near to you it wouldn’t be scary or worrisome.” She explained to me that people who are soon to pass away are comfortable, they understand, and they are ready to transition to the next step of life. They know that they have lived their life in the ways that mattered to them, and they are free from regret. So, for 2017, my resolution will be remembering to laugh after I cry. Realizing that life is too short to ever be upset about anything long-term, going out and doing the things that I love, and focusing on what’s important. I challenge whoever may be reading this, and anyone in general, to join with me. Let's ALL remember to laugh after we cry, and stop fearing and worrying and just start doing; start living. In 2017, I’m choosing happiness. I’m choosing love, laughter, excitement, challenges, fearlessness. I’m choosing life with no limits.

Cheers, everyone, to new beginnings and the freshest of starts. May your year be filled with nothing but greatness.