After 20-Plus Years, 'Rocko's Modern Life' Will Be Receiving A Nostalgic Reboot

How will Nickelodeon bring the '90s T.V. show into the 21st century?

26
Nickelodeon

Every year, millions of people from around the world gather to attend the San Diego Comic Con. Comic Con is Comic Book convention where fans can get an exclusive sneak peek at soon to come media such as comics, movies, and television shows. While there are always huge announcements every year at the event, this year's comic con had one of its more iconic announcements. This is because it was announced that Rocko’s Modern Life, a popular show that once aired on Nickelodeon, would be receiving a much-needed reboot.

Rocko’s Modern life was a Television that aired on Nickelodeon from 1993 until 1996 and became widely popular from its raunchy humor. The main characters consisted of Rocko, a wimpy wallaby, Heffer, a steer that was raised by a pack of wolfs, and Filburt, a clumsy tortoise. The show was a representation of Rocko’s, Heffer’s, and Filburt’s everyday lives in a universe that was an exaggeration of what we experience in reality. Although the show only aired for 4 seasons, it remained one of Nickelodeons most popular shows many years after its last episode aired. If you ever want to revisit your childhood, you can still catch reruns on Teen Nick.

The Rocko’s Modern Life reboot was announced via an announcement trailer. What made the news about the Rocko's Modern Life reboot even better is the fact that it was announced that the reboot would be a full-length movie. The trailer opens up with Rocko and the gang emerging from Rocko’s house, which seemed to have been left unmaintained since the last episode aired in the 90’s. Once they made their way to the front lawn Rocko tells his friends, “ I don’t think were in the 90’s anymore”, which segues into the plot and setting of the Rocko’s Modern Life reboot movie. They then embark into the city to experience the changes that came with the 21st such as drinking energy drinks even though they contain harmful ingredients, trying to figure out and keep up with smartphones, and 3d printing.

The trailer even brushed up on the fascination society has with 3d movies by showing Rocko and his friends viewing a 3d movie that reintroduced us to the infamous superhero, Really Really Big Man. The trailer then transitions to Rocko running down a road of obstacles, similar to the intro that aired with the show in the 90’s with some of the obstacles having a 21st-century presence. The Trailer concludes with Rocko saying “The 21st century, is a very dangerous century” which was meant to revitalize Rockos iconic lines where he claimed any given thing was a very dangerous thing.

Considering that Rocko’s Modern Life was one the most popular animated shows of its time, it will be interesting to see how Nickelodeon bring the '90s T.V. show into the 21st century.