after laughter paramore

Paramore's Newest Album, 'After Laughter' Perfectly Describes The Struggles Of College Life

Need an album that can relate to all of your student troubles? Look no further!

82
paramore

College is kind of hard! Scratch that, really hard. And nothing described my freshman year mindset as perfectly as Paramore's dance-y but the struggle-filled album, "After Laughter." To sum it up, the lead singer, Hayley Williams, belts out "I am NOT okay" in a number of very fun ways. This album taught me a great lesson about how to dance through the pain and roll with the wild and unexpected punches of college life. Here are a few of the many great tracks that can teach you a lesson on how to keep jamming through the "Hard Times" of college, or even life in general!

1. Hard Times

The band's most popular song on their album is a disco-synth dance track featuring pessimistic lyrics about the struggles of life. I remember more than once freshman year, my friends and I would dance the stress away before big tests! This is a great reminder that no matter what struggles are getting you down, the right beat can keep you dancing through it.

2. Fake happy

Fake Happy reminds us all that no matter what, you aren't alone in how you feel. Everyone puts on a smile and strong front but that does not mean their lives are perfect. In a world full of pretty filters and snapshot memories, it's easy to think that you are missing out on parties, fun trips, and awesome adventures. Just keep in mind that things may not be what they seem!

3. Grudges

Going into freshman year, I realized I needed to forgive and forget, not just with other people, but myself. No more staying up all night thinking about embarrassing wardrobe malfunctions or face-planting on the basketball court. No more insecurities and hesitations holding me back. No more boxing myself into what I could and couldn't do. I had to stop worrying about the drama with people at home because their lives were about to change just as much as mine. In college, nothing and no one is worth ruining a great experience in this new chapter of your life! Leave all the high school drama in high school! College is no place for grudges!

4. Rose-colored boy

In the words of Hayley Williams, "just let me cry a little bit longer!" People may tell you to stay happy and positive all the time, but those people probably haven't had a dramatic sob session to clean the slate and make them feel totally refreshed. 2 A.M. in the library, lunch in the cafeteria, at a party, there has never been a time that I judged anyone for crying or missing their bed. In college, you can have any form of a mental breakdown and most people will just think "me too lol."

5. Caught in the middle

Sometimes things pile up so much you feel like you will be crushed under the weight of it all. This song is a jam and really captures the feeling of anxiety while moving forward in life. The band writes "I gotta keep going but it's not that simple." When you've got two exams, a long essay, an unfinished service project and laundry to do all while preserving your sanity, it can be hard to keep going. Listen to this easy-going beat (or watch the quirky music video) and know you are not alone!

6. Told you so

There will always be people who try to claim your victories and defeats. People who love kicking you while you're down or pointing out your flaws, but sometimes you need to rise above it. As a college student, you and everyone else are adults and have to take responsibility for your actions and mind your own business when others are struggling. Let people make their mistakes and learn from them, and when they are ready to get back up, don't say "I told you so!" Say, "hey I care about you and I am here for you!"

7. 26

Unlike most songs on the track, this one is quiet and thoughtful. According to the website Lyric Genius, Hayley Williams wrote it from the perspective of "what would you say to your younger self? or what would you say to someone that was going through the same thing that you are? Because sometimes it's hard to talk to yourself in a loving way." This song is about holding on to hopes and dreams no matter what. Sometimes that's all that keeps you from going crazy in college. Never forget to love and take care of yourself!

You do not have to be okay all the time in college like everyone makes it out. You can be upset but as long as you stay positive you can really thrive in this new chapter of your life. Whenever things get too grim, grab some friends and bump "Hard Times" and you just may wanna dance through it!