It's OK To Not Know What You're Going To Do With Your Life After You Graduated

Everyone will think they know what they want at first, but don't worry if you suddenly don't.

158
Photo by Johnny Cohen on Unsplash

College is a scary time for all of us. Some people come in with a plan and stick with it all four years. Some come into college with no plan and do not realize what they want until the middle of college.

Many others think they have a plan once they come into college or in the middle of college, but once they come out of college, they realize they really do not know what they want. The last one is more common than most people think, and I happen to fall into that category.

When I first started college, I did not really have a plan as to what I wanted to do with my life. When I was a sophomore, I had to choose a major before the next year, so I had to explore my options as much as I possibly could. I thought about what I was interested in at the time and chose a major based on that.

I thought I would be able to stick with that major even after college and would find a job based on that major. Unfortunately, that would end up not being the case after I graduated. While I did get several internships before, I still did not know what I wanted.

I did not want to believe this at first. I thought I knew what I wanted once I changed my major for the final time and stuck with it throughout the rest of college. I thought I was going to have a plan for after college, get started on my career right away, and it would be thriving by the time I was 30.

That ended up not being the case. While I am only a year out of college, I ended up realizing that I still do not know what I want with my life or my future.

The authority figures put so much pressure on us once we turn eighteen to know what we want to do with our lives, and most people don't know for most of their early adulthood, let alone on our eighteenth birthday.

Especially considering the fact that we are (mostly) treated like children by the authority figures in our lives for the first eighteen years, what makes them think we will know what we want to do with our lives once we turn eighteen?

I have to keep realizing and understanding that some of the most iconic people did not start becoming successful in their 20s and that I have my whole life ahead of me. Just because I do not achieve success in my twenties does not mean I will never be successful.

I will know what I want with my life someday, and because everyone's interests change so much and so rapidly in their twenties, I do not have to feel bad about not knowing what I want with my life a year out of college. Life is about trial and error, and I just keep exploring my interests and see what I want in my life based on that.