5 African-American Activists That Deserve The Spotlight

Black History Month is for all of us to learn.

189
Flickr, Jim Bowen

February is Black History Month. We touch on Black History in school, learning about slavery or George Washington Carver. We may have had a ceremony somewhere between K-12, but do we all really appreciate this month?

Are we lifting up those who are striving to make our communities, states, and nation more diverse and inclusive? We have all heard of Dr. Martin Luther King, and I do hope that we are all very familiar with his work; however, activism did not end with him.

There are so many incredible African-American women and men paving the way for a better tomorrow and should be celebrated. Here are 5 current activists who deserved to be applauded for the work they are doing.

1.Tarana Burke

She is most famous for coining the, "Me Too," phrase in 2006, that is currently a widespread movement of women speaking out against sexual assault and harassment.

She is the Senior Director of the Brooklyn-based organization, Girls for Gender Equality, where she uses programs to empower women, especially young women of color. It is also rumored that Burke is working on a novel - no doubt a future bestseller.

2. Bryan Stevenson

Stevenson is a lawyer, activist, professor, and speaker. To name just a few of his accolades, he has been named a MacArthur Fellow as well as received Four Freedoms Award and an Andrew Carnegie Medal. In 2012, he delivered an incredible TEDTalk."We Need To Talk About Injustice," that reached many viewers around the world.

Bryan is also the founder of Equal Justice Initiative which strives to protect those of lower-income households against the death penalty.

He is especially passionate about helping those who are younger than eighteen and incarcerated. His latest project, the Memorial of Peace and Justice, will open later this year in Montgomery, AL. This memorial will commemorate the thousands of lynchings that occurred in the south.

3. Lateefah Simon

At 19, Simon began leading at the Center for Young Women's Development where she assisted women who faced poverty, homelessness or had been incarcerated.

This work led to her receiving a MacArthur Fellowship In 2003, where she became the youngest female recipient of this fellowship. Simon is also known for making advancements for the colored and low-income family in the Bay Area of California.

She is the current President of the Akonadi Foundation, which strives to create opportunities for, and better represent, people of color.

4. Jimmie Briggs

Briggs is a journalist and teacher. He has traveled to Africa, the Middle East, and Asia, and is known for his book, "Innocents Lost: When Child Soldiers Go to War." Briggs is the Co-Founder and Executive Director of the Man Up Campaign, which is dedicated to using art, sports, and technology to help educate youths and prevent violence against women and girls, not just nationally, but globally.

5. Joy DeGruy

Dr. Joy DeGruy is a well-known researcher, educator, author nationally and internationally. Her novel, Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome: America's Legacy of Enduring Injury and Healing, examines the physiological and emotional of the Middle Passage African-Americans.

Her video, "A Trip to the Grocery Store," is so impactful to me, personally, and is a great way to understand the concept of "white privilege." This video can be found on YouTube, and I highly recommend you watch it.

These are only five out of many inspiring activists working to change the world right now, but I encourage to you take some time and research others on your own.

Reach out to your friends celebrating this month, and let them know how much you appreciate them. Educate yourself, watch a video or TEDTalk that challenges you to grow your mind. Be empathetic, and listen to the opinions of those who face different problems and upbringing than you do.

Love thy neighbor. Take this month and dive into Black History and find something new to learn. When we educate ourselves, we can all strive to progress together.