Advice My Grandmother Shared With Me

Advice My Grandmother Shared With Me

Because grandmas have wisdom well beyond their years.

47
Advice My Grandmother Shared With Me
Ellen Molinaro

Grandparents are filled with all kinds of meaningful life lessons they've learned the hard way. They've lived through what lies in our future, the hard decisions, the broken hearts, and the experiences. It's really important to me to take advantage of getting to know grandparents while they're still here. I want to ask all of my family members any questions I have about them and their lives so as not to live with any regrets or unanswered questions.

When I sat down with my grandma a few days ago, we talked for hours. It wasn't my intent to write this article when we were talking, but as I drove home, I reflected on everything I had learned about her and her life and I realized it was one of the best days I've ever had. I decided to memorialize the pieces of wisdom she'd shared with me and compile a list for all of you to enjoy and hopefully learn something from.

1. If a boy doesn't like you for who you are, move on.

There are so many other men out there who would love to care for you in the way you should be cared for. Don’t settle and don’t try to win him over by changing who you are or compromising your values.

2. Do things for yourself.

Make decisions based on what's best for you. Regardless of what your friends or peers are doing, do what you need to do. It’s hard, but it will pay off in the end.

3. Be open to different hobbies and activities.

Your interests will change over the years, and you won’t always enjoy the same things. Even if painting is your passion now, it might not be years from now. And that’s okay. Don’t beat yourself up when you lose interest in things. Find a new hobby and cultivate that passion.

4. Reflect.

Reflect on what you want your life to look like or where you want to be in the future. If your current life isn't what you want in the future, make changes accordingly because that’s the only way you will get there. It’s hard to take initiative, but thankfully starting is the hardest part. Start by making small changes. For example, if you want less clutter in your house, begin by throwing away magazines or old cosmetics or donating clothes you haven’t worn in a year.

5. Laugh at yourself.

Don’t take yourself too seriously. Having self-awareness makes it easier to accept your shortcomings and laugh at them. Laughing at yourself does not come from a critical place – it's a form of endearment.

6. Laugh.

Because it’s such an important part of life. Joy is infectious and hearing people laugh always makes me laugh – even if I don’t know what they’re talking or laughing about. Someone who laughs often draws people in.

7. Don't be petty.

It’s hard to enjoy being around a person who is always complaining about things.

8. “You don't have to blow out someone else's candle for your light to shine.”

My grandma wrote this quote in a letter she wrote me once and it has stuck with my entire family since then. Whenever someone is being critical of someone, one of my family members will inevitably recite this phrase, and hearing it is usually enough to remind that person to be kinder.

9. Friendships take time to build. Be sure to continuously put forth effort.

Write letters to your friends, let them know how much they mean to you and how they've affected you. Surprise them just because – bring them coffee at work or cook dinner for your roommate if you know she's had a tough day.

10. Try new things. Go new places.

It's so important to adventure and travel and try to expand your horizons. I always try to find unique events that are going on wherever I am. And some of the best times I've had have been as a result of spontaneity with friends.

11. Take advantage of every opportunity to learn and grow.

Take classes, whether they're for yoga, dance, calligraphy or astronomy. There's an opportunity to learn something new around every corner.

12. Appreciate the good things in life.

My grandma and I have something in common: an ardent admiration for trees. They’re majestic, strong and noble.

Take time to get to know your grandparents and show them respect and admiration. They're part of your history and they have experienced more than we can imagine in their years.