Advice For Incoming Freshmen Going To A Small University

Good things are found on small campuses.

3
Krista Comella

There is no doubt in my mind that going to a smaller university has truly shaped my college experience into one of the best I could ever ask for. As a freshman, I really did not have anyone to give me advice about going to a smaller school. I knew it would probably be different than going to a huge state school, and I soon found that I was right. Here is some advice that I would give to any incoming freshmen who will be attending a smaller university.

1. Do not be intimidated by how small campus is.

I know this sounds strange, but just as a big campus can seem scary, so can a small campus. People might just get anxious about the fact that “everyone seems to know everyone,” but that really isn’t anything to be scared of. Once you get over that fact that you will be seeing a lot of people you know basically anytime you walk through campus, you might actually realize that it’s nice to be surrounded by familiar faces instead of total strangers.

2. Try not to focus on finding your best friend right away.

This was something that I personally struggled with the first few weeks of my freshman year. I went on social media every day and saw that people from my high school seemed to be making friends so quickly, and I just didn’t have that connection with anyone. I was so obsessed with the idea of finding my “best college friend” that I was so disappointed in myself when, after the first week, didn’t have any good friends. I now look back and realize how ridiculous this is. Friendships will develop over time, and honestly, you probably do not want to become obsessed with the first nice people you meet on campus.

3. Befriend your professors.

This is a wonderful advantage of going to a smaller school. Smaller school = smaller class sizes, and most of the time your professors will even want to learn your names. Honestly, I think I’ve had only two professors in my two years of college education who didn’t learn everyone’s names in class. Your professors will also be more available during their office hours for you to ask questions or even just to say hi.

4. Learn about the history of your campus.

Trust me, you’ll appreciate it so much more when you realize how much work went into creating such a quaint and beautiful place that you will spend the next four years.

5. Make sure to get involved.

This is crucial at a small campus. Once you become involved in clubs, sports and just meeting new people, you will be able to fully understand how much there is to do at your small school.

6. It might seem boring sometimes.

Sometimes weekends on a small campus might seem, dare I say it, boring. Yeah, it’s true. But try to really use this time to build friendships and get to know the people you are surrounded by on campus. And part of the normal college experience, in my opinion, is just hanging out with friends and enjoying those seemingly boring moments.

7. Give it a chance and it quite possibly could be the best decision you’ve ever made.

A lot of new students get discouraged when they either visit friends at another big school or become obsessed with what they see on social media. But if you give it a chance and really think about how advantageous the education is, the people you meet, and the overall atmosphere that accompanies a small school, you may just realize how lucky you are to be a student on your small campus.

I know that going to a small university has been the best choice I have made in my entire life. It becomes your second home filled with friends who truly become family. Sure it may be different than going to a big state school, but if you truly embrace what your small university has to offer, you will realize how you probably cannot imagine yourself anywhere else.