5 Pieces Of Advice For The Graduating High School Senior

As you're last couple of months before college begin, focus on the present moment.

389
Lily Manavi

With graduation season just around the corner, especially high school graduation, many emotions begin to fill our minds. We begin to wonder who we will stay friends with, how life will be after high school, and how college and the future will change us.

With all this being said, I want to offer my best pieces of advice to the graduating high school senior, from someone who graduated high school just a bit over a year ago. From those experiences I’ve shared with my friends, family, and thoughts I’ve had myself, I hope that you can benefit from my advice.

1. Who you were in high school no longer matters

Whether high school was your prime time filled with a big group of friends, weekends full of parties, or you were the valedictorian, captain of the soccer team, class president, and the list goes on, congratulations. None of this matters anymore after you graduate and high school is over the second your graduation ceremony comes to an end. If you weren’t part of the “cool kids” crowd like myself, that no longer matters anymore.

Going to college means having a completely fresh start not only with your social life but with your academic and professional life as well. I promise when you go through freshman orientation in college, nobody will be talking about what type of grades, who their friends were, and what they were involved with in high school.

2. Get a part-time summer job

Although all the blood, sweat, and tears of high school are all over and you want the summer to relax and spend time with your friends and family before college, knock yourself out. While relaxing and spending quality time with the people you live is extremely important, finding a part-time job over the summer has many benefits such as having some extra spending money over the summer and into the school year and boosting your resume before you’re off to college in the fall. Many retail stores, as well as fast food restaurants, are always looking for help, so check out job listings online or at your local stores.

3. Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help

This is something that I seriously could not stress enough. Reaching out to people you may know or mutual friends who may go to the college or university you will be attending in the fall by sending a simple Facebook or Instagram message goes a long way, and don’t be afraid to ask for help, even if you have a simple question about life in college. Asking for help or advice is by no means a sign of weakness. Often times, people appreciate others reaching out because it makes them feel like they can make a difference in someone’s life.

If your friends or parents know of someone who works or has a connection in a field that you are interested in studying or working in, reach out to them. If you find yourself lost in college academically, socially, or career wise, reach out to a counselor, friend, or seek tutoring services. I have personally done this myself at times of need.

Although it may seem “nerdy,” or as though you are the only person to do so, I can assure you that you will NOT be the only person asking for help. I thought I’d be considered the “stupid kid” for showing up to tutoring, but to my surprise, I saw a room full of students seeking tutoring as well! I promise, as much as you may think it sounds super weird, this goes a long way and helps create connections in the long run.

4. It's okay to lose or not stay in contact with your high school friends

Times change and things change. College becomes not only a time of growth and transition but a time to meet new people. You will get busier than you think, and won’t have much time to be texting your friends back home consistently.

Don’t sweat it too much because I promise you won’t regret a second of how busy you are in the end. If you stay in touch with your friends back home, that’s awesome, but if you don’t, it doesn’t take away from who you are as a person because friends can come from anywhere, including your college years.

When you come home from college over winter, spring, or summer break, there is nobody to judge you that you didn’t keep in touch or stay friends with the people you were friends with in high school. It’s ultimately your decision who you want to hang out with and who you never want to see again. That’s the beauty of graduating high school and going on to college.

5. Enjoy the moment, and don’t think too much about the future

Congratulations, you’ve graduated high school, a difficult four years of many people’s life and you're now onto bigger and better things. While the excitement of decorating your dorm room once you get to college, or stalking the cool hangout spots on Instagram near your campus may become normal occurrences for an incoming college freshman, make sure you seriously enjoy the moment. You won’t be able to control who you become friends with before you get to college from social media, and what sorority you’re going to join. You won’t be an incoming college freshman again, so enjoy the moment.