15 Tips To Surviving Your First Semester

This is a "freshman 15" you actually want.

436
Samantha Hibbs

I have recently started my second semester here at Texas A&M University and have found 15 tips that proved beneficial for college.

1. Get involved.

The transition from high school to college is difficult, especially in your first semester. Finding a way to plug into the student life and activities will help you get comfortable and ease in the transition. Plus, you will gain new friends quickly.

2. Don't overload your plate.

While it is beneficial to join some organizations and get to know people, sometimes it can become too much to handle. It is good to remember that while college is fun and exciting you are supposed to focus on your studies. Try not to get too over involved and become bombarded by priorities. Know that it is okay to say "no", remember that your wellbeing is more important than pleasing everyone around you.

3. Find your routine.

The first few weeks will be key to figuring out your new routine. College is a balancing act, everything from school and studies to friends and your social life. Take this time to find what works best for you!

4. Use your resources.

There are so many good resources and tools that can help you for any of your classes, and more importantly, many of them are free. Everything from your TA's, peers, professor's office hours, and study groups, these tools will help you be successful in your classes and college career.

5. Ask for help.

One common misconception about college is that you have to do it all by yourself. Don't be afraid to ask others for help.

6. Appreciate your alone time.

More than likely, your first year you will be living with roommates. Therefore, your alone time will quickly turn into a continuous hang out session with your new best friends. Take time to focus on you, that way you don't go insane.

7. Try new things.

This is the time to venture out of your comfort zone and try new things. Granted don't push yourself too hard, but take up a new hobby or get into a class that challenges you. Whatever it is, try something new and exciting.

8. Widen your friend circle.

In high school, your friends always revolved around who knew who. Being at a university with a student population of over 65,000 students, there are so many different people that you can meet. Take these years and make friendships that will last and that you appreciate.

9. Get some sleep.

Sleep is valuable. It's no secret that a good day is based off of a good night's sleep. Don't get too wrapped up in staying up late to study the night before a test, because trust me, it won't help you. Going to bed and getting the appropriate amount of rest will be more beneficial than that late night cram.

10. Don't procrastinate.

Mom and dad aren't there to keep you on top of your school work. You're becoming an adult so you'll need to learn how to prioritize. Invest in a planner and organize your day-to-day activities. Especially with your schoolwork, don't say "I'll do it later" because nine times out of ten, you won't.

11. Keep clean.

Hygiene is very very important and imperative to living a good life. Make sure you are keeping yourself healthy. Wash your clothes and bedding often, and stay on top of your personal wellbeing.

12. Participate in school activities.

Different schools have different traditions, so dive into them. These are what make your college experience great. Whether it's attending a football game or Silver Taps, these are my most memorable moments from my first semester.

13. It's okay to fail.

Rejection is a part of life; don't be scared of it. Take everything you learn with a grain of salt. If you don't get into the organization you want, apply next semester/year. This is not the end of the world even though it may feel like it.

14. Appreciate the little things.

Sometimes we take the little moments for granted and let it fly by. Take a moment and go stand in the rain, laugh with your roommates, listen to music way louder than you should. We are still young, so make these memories now. If you go to A&M then you'll understand the importance of playing in the snow the night before finals.

15. Always look ahead.

It's never too early to plan for the rest of your life. Don't forget to apply for those internships and make your new schedule for the next semester. While it seems far away, your future is coming soon, so be ready. You may not know what it will be filled with, but at least you'll be equipped to conquer it.

Hopefully this helps you whether you're entering a new semester or preparing to start college. There is so much more that goes along with college but these have been crucial in establishing early success.