Letter To College Freshmen

Letter To College Freshmen

Remember to hug your mom and dad a little tighter this year.

70
Letter To College Freshmen
Kim Joyce Photography

Remember to hug your mom and dad a little tighter.

Dear College Freshmen,

It's official. It's August. Wow. Summer flew by, didn't it? Doesn't it seem like just the other day you were walking across that stage at your high school? You were getting your diploma as your friends, family, and loved ones sat in the stadium or gym and took unbelievable amounts of pictures. Your mom cried, your dad patted you on the back, your siblings hugged you and you felt like life couldn't get any better. You just finished your senior year of high school, you were at the top of the food chain. You knew your way around and didn't need anyone's help.

But, now, college approaches. Here's the thing. College is hard. For multiple reasons. Being a freshman is hard. Trust me.

One of the things that gets hard is your relationship with your parents. Even if you have an amazing relationship with your parents it can still be hard. You just graduated, you feel independent and like an "adult" (trust me you don't want to be an adult...it's expensive and not as fun as it seems) and you think you can take care of yourself.

Meanwhile...Mom and Dad feel nostalgic, they're scared. Their baby isn't a baby anymore. They hope that they've done all the right things and taught you all the right lessons and been good parents to you.

So college freshmen, here's my advice to you.

When you're packing your stuff for school and your mom wants to help you fold your clothes, let her. When your dad wants you to help you wash your car before you pack it up to leave, let him. Let your mom do that last load of laundry for you before you go. Let your siblings help you pack even when they do more harm than good. Let your little sister fold your socks. Instead of spending your last night at home with all your high school friends, stay at home and hang out with your family.

Let your family love on you. Don't be "too cool" or too much of an "adult." Soak it in because, trust me friend, you'll miss these times. You'll miss the nights at home with your family, you'll miss your mom and your dad, and believe it or not, you'll miss your siblings. When you move into the dorms, let your parents take a billion pictures of you, you'll look back and laugh some day. When your parents leave and drive back home on the "trail of tears" as my parents call it, make an effort to call your parents a little more often. Text your parents when you get an A on your first test (because you WILL get that A. You got this). Make sure your parents feel included in your life, don't call them just when you need money or something, call them just to say hi and ask them how their week has been.

This relationship with your parents just got real. Now, it's different than before. You know why? Because it takes effort; it takes intentionality. So, friends, hug your Mom and Dad a little tighter as this summer comes to an end and you start this new chapter in your life.