Must-Know Advice For Every Incoming Baylor University Freshman
Freshman

4 Pieces Of Advice For All Baylor Freshmen, Before You Put On The Green And Gold

It's not as scary as you think.

769
Baylor Line

The school year is right around the corner and I know we are all SO excited. Going back to school is never fun but when you're going into your freshman year of college, it is one of the most exciting moments in your life. You're out of your parent's house and living in a closet-sized dorm room with a roommate living your best life. You have the next four years to be whatever you want to be.

Being a freshman in college is a blast. Your classes aren't too terrifying yet and everyone in your dorm hall is open to meeting new people and creating the best memories to bring back to their friends from home. As a senior in college, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. No matter what school you go to or how hard you try, to the upperclassmen, it is obvious if you are a freshman. This is not a bad thing. We've all been there. We've all had to endure hearing the phrases "fresh meat," "freshies," or "frosh." So don't take it personally when someone older than you makes a comment on how young you look or when they say "I remember when I was a freshman. Man, I'm so old now." We are just still coming to terms that we have to become adults sooner than later and grow up.

Freshman year should be the best time of your life. Enjoy every party you go to, every conversation you have, say yes to new adventures. Don't be afraid to make memories with the people that are around you. Join a club, fraternity or sorority if you're into that. Join a church and get connected. Get a job doing something that pertains to your major (trust me, this is so important!). The sooner you get connected and make the college you chose feel like home, the faster you don't look like a freshman.

So, in order to prepare for your freshman year, here are four things to keep in mind when preparing for your freshman year.

1. Don't Bring A Bad Attitude

College can be overwhelming and scary, but the key to being successful and enjoying it is to keep a good attitude. Of course, there will be bad days. There will be times where you feel like you won't be successful because of a test you failed or your alarm clock went off late and your entire day is thrown off. But if you keep a good attitude and surround yourself with great friends, college won't seem as daunting and scary.

2. Sometimes You Will Fail

There is no doubt that there will be times you will fail. You will fail a test, you will fail at getting up on time for class and there will be times where you just want to give up and stay in bed all day, and that is OK! College is hard but can be so rewarding if you don't allow yourself to be defeated. Finding people to encourage you through the hardships that will undoubtedly happen is so important for your success in college.

3. Surround Yourself With Good People

There is no doubt that I wouldn't be the person I am today without the help of the people I have surrounded myself with since the beginning of my freshman year. They are the people I go to when I want to have fun, the people I go to when I need a shoulder to cry on, and the people who are there when I need help. Find friends who you can depend on. They will be there for you when you're parents can't be.

4. Your Professors Are More Than Just Your Professors

Professors are there to teach you, but they are also so much more. They are your mentors, your encouragers, and they are your friends. Don't dismiss them when they say they are there for you if you need help or need to talk. They truly want you to succeed, so let them help you.