Advice For Long-Distance Couples

Advice For Long-Distance Couples

Since summer is coming to an end, some couples have to make an important decision: to commit to long distance, or not.

8
Advice For Long-Distance Couples
Skitter Photo

Long distance is much different than I ever imagined. It’s harder than I thought, because naturally the longer I date my boyfriend, the more I love him. So each time I have to say goodbye to him it gets harder and harder. But within the past nine months, I have learned a few ways to make it a little easier to handle during the school year.

Always make time for each other.

Talk on the phone, FaceTime or Skype at least once a day. When my boyfriend and I started dating, we talked only at night after we finished studying. This helped us maintain good grades, but also gave us something to look forward to every day. During that time we learned so much about each other because we were forced to talk. Talking may seem like an obvious thing to do, but when you are in person with people you don’t talk nonstop the whole time. This helps people in relationships learn more about their partner on a deeper level.

Make your relationship a priority.

School and what comes along with it makes it hard for anyone to find free time. But it is important to make your significant other a priority for a weekend of the month. Every student is busy, but my boyfriend and I see each other at least once a month for about four days during the school year. These trips are vital because the amount of time you see each other is significantly less than over school breaks. If you don’t see your significant other for a long time, it may cause fights and you may forget why long distance is worth it. Do not let the long distance get the best of you. These short days will remind you of how much you love each other and how much they are worth it.

Cry when needed.

That might be a weird one, but it something that is going to happen every time you say goodbye. Don’t let anyone tell you that you shouldn’t cry, because they don’t understand. Long distance is really hard, and I wish I could say it gets easier. No matter how many times I drop my boyfriend off at the airport, I never get used to it. Don’t conceal your feelings, you have the right to cry over saying goodbye to your significant other. You shouldn’t have to keep it a secret because I know how hard it is. It is harder than a, “see you later.” It’s not as easy as people think it is.

Long distance will always be my hardest and greatest blessing. It has given me a love that is better than I could ever imagine. I will never regret putting myself and my boyfriend through the toughness of distance. It gave our relationship so much strength because we were forced to bond and learn more about each other. It is worth it, and it will always be.