My Advice To College Students? Always Apply

There are so many opportunities out there, don't miss them.

118
Aran McDermott

College is an amazing time in anyone's life. You're finally on your own, you're meeting new people, and you're experiencing new things. It can be easy to get caught up in the fun of it all. But, it's also important to focus on your schoolwork and to begin thinking about your future. It can be overwhelming sometimes, and it can be difficult to figure out where to start.

Luckily, there are opportunities to get involved and to figure out what you might be interested in all over college campuses. Clubs are always a great idea and are easy to get into. The best ways to find a club that might interest you are to attend any organization fairs that your college holds or to check if there's a website that lists all of the organizations on campus.

There are also several opportunities for internships, jobs, and leadership positions. Most of these require an application and, oftentimes, a follow-up interview. It can be a little intimidating applying for something, especially when you aren't sure if you will get it.

My advice - do it anyways.

My first semester of college I shied away from applying to things because I didn't think I would get it. However, this semester, I have learned that it doesn't matter.

Always Apply.

You never know what might happen. The worst thing they can do is say no. If that's what happens, there is always another opportunity out there and, if you really want that position, you can try again the next time they put out applications.

You won't regret it. No matter the outcome, at least you tried. And trying is better than not doing it at all. If you do decide to apply for something, there are a few things you should keep in mind.

1. Resume

Make sure you have a resume that is current and thorough. Put all of your skills down and try to contour it based on what you are applying for.

2. Interviews (Before)

Think about what questions they might ask you and come up with some answers so you have something in the back of your mind during the interview.

Dress appropriately. They typically tell you what manner of dress you should wear. Stick to it.

Always get there at least 10 minutes early, it will look like you want to be there and are prepared rather than running in at the last minute.

3. Interviews (During)

Breathe. The person interviewing you can tell when you're nervous, take a breath and relax.

Be confident in yourself and your answers. When you present yourself in a confident way, the interviewer will notice that.

4. Interviews (After)

Always thank them for the opportunity. Everyone appreciates politeness.

Wait patiently for a response, they will most likely tell you when you should hear from them.

Once again, my number one piece of advice for college students interested in building up their resume or finding something they are interested in is to apply.

Apply to anything that interests you and you could end up becoming a part of it.