Advice To A College Freshman

Advice To A College Freshman

10 things they don't tell you at orientation

19
Advice To A College Freshman
YouTube

When you start your first year of college, there is a lot to do and a lot to learn. Starting from orientation, there are dozens of activities that a freshman can choose from to participate in. There's also lots of forms to sort through, classes to register for, and lots of people to talk to. If you have been a college freshman, you know that there is a lot of advice coming from people that think they have the best advice. I have put together a list of things that freshman aren't told at orientation.

1. 8:00 am classes are the worst.

Sometimes, you have to take an 8:00 am class because that is the only time slot that the class is available. That's what I had to do this year with physics. When you are registering, you might think that an 8:00 am class doesn't sound that bad, and that you were up that early for high school, so being up at that time in college won't be any different, and I would have to say you are probably wrong. Once you are taking college level courses, juggling a million different things at once, going to bed late after doing homework, and working hard to pass classes, waking up at 8:00 am becomes hard to do, unless you are a morning person. Even if not taking an 8:00 am class means you get only 1 more hour of sleep, most days, that sleep is golden. If you do end up taking an 8:00 am class though, make sure you give yourself enough time for a restful sleep, and that you wake up with enough time to be fully awake and eat some breakfast.

2. Speaking of sleep, cramming isn't the smartest thing to do.

I get it. You have your first big test, and you don't want to fail it, so you've been studying all day, and it's getting late, but you still want to keep studying so you get a good grade. At some point, you're going to have to stop cramming, and it's better that you stop sooner than later. I know from personal experience that cramming for a test often happens when you have procrastinated studying, but you have to understand that there is only so much that you can remember from cramming, and if you don't go to bed at a reasonable time, it won't matter if you studied, because you are going to be too tired to function. Go to sleep, you'll be fine.

3. Failing a test isn't the end of the world.

I made it through high school with straight A's and I never failed a test, but college is not high school. There are going to be classes that push you to the edge and are so challenging that you think you may never pass them. If you take chemistry, it will be hard, I know from personal experience. You have to realize, either from taking my advice or from personal experience, that one failed test or paper is not going to make you fail the entire class. In high school, you were probably told that there would be less support in college because you are a tiny fish in a big sea, but from my experience, professors work with their students if they are struggling, and they really want you to succeed. It is important if you are struggling to seek out help, and if you know you failed a test, know that it will probably be curved, and it is not the end of the world.

4. You might not miss home at first, but sooner or later, you will.

I barely went home my first year of college, and I even decided to stay over the summer and winter breaks to work for the college. Now that I am a sophomore, I have started to miss home more. At some point, whether it be in the beginning of college or later on, it is okay to go home. Home is a big part of who we are, and going home does not mean you are any less independent.

5. Don't go home every week.

As I mentioned in number 4, you'll miss home, but you probably shouldn't go home every single week. Even though it is good to go home every once in a while, if you go home too much you won't get the full experience of being on your own in college.

6. If it is free, take it.

When you go to McDonald's, take plastic silverware and stock up on condiments. There will come a day when you need these things, but you won't want to buy them. When there is an event on campus with free food and merchandise, go if you are interested. And if anyone ever asks, "Does anyone want this leftover food?" Take it.

7. Get involved and don't be afraid.

Even though you are new to the college, don't be afraid to join clubs and try new things. The upperclassmen probably want you to join their organizations, and you belong there as much as they do. Don't underestimate your ability to do something great and be involved. The more involved you get, the better your experience in college will be.

8. Respect people.

Not everyone at your college is going to be the same as you, like the same things, or believe in the same things as you do, but it is important to have respect for each and every person you come into contact with. College is a place for you to find yourself and figure out what you believe in, but if you don't respect others' opinions and you don't take the time to listen to others, you won't grow as a person.

9. Don't do stupid things.

Don't break windows, don't take free condoms and put them under everyone's door, don't write on the walls or the furniture, don't yell after quiet hours. Just don't.

10. Have fun.

Don't always focus solely on school. Take time for yourself to do things you like, and make an effort to meet new people and make friends. You won't have the same interests or friends group throughout your entire college career, but you should do things other than study and go to class, or else you'll go crazy.