Adventures in Wine Tasting

Adventures in Wine Tasting

“Grapes plus time equals wine”.

2
Adventures in Wine Tasting

I am spending the next month in Florence, Italy. So prepare for lots of articles on my travels, which I hope are as interesting to you as they were amazing to me.

This week I decided I would write about an interesting tour we went on in which we learned how to wine-taste. It’s not as complex as everyone thinks; simply sniff the wine, remember that scent, swirl the wine vigorously, then sniff again. Smells different doesn’t it? I guess swirling adds air to the wine allowing for a stronger taste (but keep in mind I have zero clue what I am talking about). Then you sip it and swish it around in your mouth for five-plus seconds and swallow. What I liked the most about wine-tasting was the fact it doesn’t matter what anyone else says, if you swish it around and swallow and you don’t like the taste it leaves in your mouth, nobody can tell you otherwise; you don’t have to like that wine. The entire experience is up to you.

Okay back to the main point. Our wine tour guide talked a lot about experiencing Italian culture and sharing their customs, which I thought was really cool. Often when we travel we forget to immerse ourselves in the culture. We are so hell-bent on seeing all the magnificent monuments and posting all the most interesting snapchats that we forget why human beings travel… To learn more about the lifestyles of people who we wouldn’t normal interact with.

Let’s talk Italy.

Italian lifestyle is much different than North American lifestyle. They live in small, often non-air conditioned apartments. They eat croissants and cappuccinos for breakfast. They eat late lunches, around 1pm or 2pm. They eat late dinners, around 8pm or 9pm. They have smaller appliances, like fridges and washing machines. They hang their clothes to dry. It is different, but I’ve learned (keep in mind I have only been here for a week) that if you open your mind you can really learn something from the Italians.

I’ve learned that we can all consume a little less. Having the shower running while you are washing your hair or body isn’t necessary. That short amount of time turning it off saves a surprising amount of water. In the summer hanging a load of laundry to dry isn’t even an inconvenience, it probably dries faster outside in 100 degrees Fahrenheit heat than in your drier anyway. Opening a window and having a good old fashion fan at night instead of having the air conditioning running really isn’t that bad. I will admit I miss air conditioning and not profusely sweating 24 hours a day, but at night it makes sense to crack a window and enjoy the summer air.

I learned that we can all enjoy good quality fresh food in a smaller quantity. Italians eat phenomenal food but the ingredients are fresh and wholesome. Usually milk and heavy cream really hurts my stomach. Anyone who knows me knows I only drink almond milk and I stay away from anything super cheesy and heavy. While in Italy I have eaten a cappuccino almost every day and enjoyed a couple really creamy amazing dishes and my stomach has been (for the most part) fine. Not to mention the portion sizes are perfect. I thought I would gain a bunch of weight while abroad but I’ve found that I finish all my meals just full enough. We do enough walking that I am constantly moving and I’m never eating so much I feel I am going to explode. I think North American’s could really benefit from fresher ingredients in a smaller quantity.

Lastly, we can all benefit from a good glass of wine. Italians really value good wine and good food. It’s not about chugging a bottle of wine in order to get drunk, it’s about a good taste and experience and sharing that with friends and family. North American’s are so fast paced they forget to stop and enjoy their lives. Like my Italian wine tour guide said, “El vino is life”.

I really like Italy, I don’t think I would ever up and move here. But I enjoy the culture and I enjoy pretending I am Italian. Even if it is only for the month of July.