Self Care Is Important, But Only If You Do It Right

taking Care of your Mental health is Important But not if you take advantage of 'taking a mental health day'

Self care is not eating a pint of ice cream because you're sad.

151

It's beyond important to love yourself and grow as a person. You should always want to better the person you are. The self care sub culture has been on the rise recently, and while there's nothing wrong with that, it is important to know what self care actually is.

Self care is not splurging $300 every month on new highlight, contour, and brushes. Self care is allowing yourself to treat yourself to little shopping sprees every now and then. It's saving your money to pay off your student or car loans. Self care is putting money to the side so you can afford a house one day.

Self care is not eating a pint of ice cream because you're sad. Self care is giving your body what it needs.

It's eating fruits and vegetables, but also allowing to give yourself a treat sometimes. Self care is exercising because you want to be healthy. It's exercising because you love yourself, not because you feel as if you have to "fix yourself" or because you think you're fat. Self care is a method of learning to love and accept yourself for who you are.

Self care can be a face mask and/or letting yourself soak in the bath with a pretty bathbomb.

You should take care of your skin and allow yourself to relax after a stressful day. Love yourself and your body, but be weary of skin care trends and give your skin what it needs, not necessarily what's popular.

Self care is not isolating yourself in your room to listen to your favorite music when you're sad. That is not coping.

Self care is talking about your feelings to your friends, family, and/or therapist. Of course music can be an outlet for your feelings, but it shouldn't be your only outlet. Vent to the people that care about you. They won't mind. Vent using social media apps specifically designed for venting. Someone will listen and someone will care.

Self care is taking a mental health day when you need it. It's important to take time off when you really need it.

Mental illness is a real thing and it is necessary for it to be addressed properly. Listen to your body and give it what it needs. Give your body rest and love and nutrients.

However, self care is not using a mental health day as an excuse to skip class or call out of work. Use the days when you need to, but if you're "too tired" or you stayed out too late the night before, use it as a lesson and learn from it.

Self care is being a good friend to your friends and loved ones. It's letting them know that you are there for them and that you care.

By making your friends and loved ones feel good, in turn, you will feel good. However, don't just be a good friend because you want to feel good about it. Be good to the people you care about because it will make others feel good.

In the current state of world affairs, it really is nice to see that self care is important to the younger generations. Loving yourself and promoting positive energy onto others is a great thing to radiate. Love yourself. Love your body. Love your friends and loved ones. Treat yourself and others right.