Adulting is hard.
Life Stages

Adulting Is A Catch-22

Once adulthood hits, it doesn't go away.

122
Adulting Is A Catch-22

My mom used to tell me to enjoy myself because once adulthood hits it doesn't go away.

This summer has made me realize that she couldn't be more right.

I'm currently working four to five days a week, not living at home, and working at a job that could lead to a career path. College is flying by, my friends are making their dreams come true, and nothing is the same. Adulting is taking over.
As exciting as that is, and as much as we yearn for independence— it's a catch-22.

A catch-22 is a circumstance in which there is no escape because of conflicting dependent conditions. We want the independence, gain it, and then realize that we miss being dependent. We find out that independence and dependence aren't what they are cracked up to be-- maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side.

My mom would say that more independence leads to greater responsibility. (Wow, she is right yet again.)

Whether you are at your first internship, living away from home for once, trying out new career ideas, or just gaining more independence, I hope you know it's okay for it to feel bittersweet.
It's sweet that we are independent and don't need our parents "all the time," but bitter because we don't need our parents all the time.

If you are like me and have been rushing through everything and trying to grow up too fast by stressing about internships, who to seriously date, or freaking out because you don't know what career path to take— SLOW DOWN. We try too hard to be seen as adults.

Even if you are learning how to adult right now, appreciate the fact that it isn't completely here yet.

Don't be so preoccupied with the fantasy view of adulthood and idyllic independence that you miss out on the beauty of pre-adulthood.