How to have an adult apartment

12 Essentials In The Grown-Up Apartment

How to trick your parent's into thinking that you've got your shit together.

374
12 Essentials In The Grown-Up Apartment

So, I've now written an article about how hard "adulting" is, and one about how to create a cool house on a tight budget. Now, I am going to combine the two as I prepare to move into a one bedroom flat for my final year of university. Two weeks after I move in, my parents will be visiting me and will be my first ever house guests. For some reason (unknown to me) my family treats me like an adult - conveniently ignoring my constant hungover state, my inability to remember to take keys with me, and my hatred of shopping for linens. This is nice, but has also put a lot of pressure on the state of my new abode when they come to stay with me.

I have searched far and wide for ways to show my parents that I am the responsible adult they raised. If you find yourself in a similar position, these top tips should help you to mask your juvenility and make your home ready for a visit from the Queen!

1. Have napkins and placemats at the ready!

You don't have to spend much on these, but a nice non-disposable napkin goes a long way in showing that you care about the appearance of a dinner table - as if you throw lots of dinner parties now instead of regular pre-games.

2. Clean the stove every day.

There's nothing worse than a greasy and crumby stove, especially when you have house guests who will be eating off said stove. Nobody wants to see last week's omelette while trying to cook today's.

3. Have fresh flowers on the kitchen table.

Flowers add life to any small space, and showing that you're willing to take care of flowers shows that you're willing to take care of others, too. This is a grown-up attribute!

4. Have cookbooks in the kitchen.

This will show your parents (even if it's not true) that you don't spend your time eating microwavable pot-noodle or ordering out. This will show (even if it's not true), that you're ready for adult life away from the comfort of a university campus.

5. Keep up your home maintenance.

Make sure that when things break, you get them fixed immediately. This is a hassle, but a stitch in time saves nine. I.e. if something is on the brink of breaking, it probably will within 3 days and be a harder problem to fix once its well and truly broken. Furthermore, breakages come in clumps, meaning that if you leave them, you could render your home uninhabitable to both you, and your guests.

6. Unless expensive, keep all alcoholic products hidden away.

There's nothing that screams adolescence more than a beer bottle wall display or cheap wine bottles as a "trendy", "cute" flower vase. Just stop it. Stop being a lazy bugger and take it to the recycling out back.

7. Have a calendar which includes more than "Megan's bday partay" and "end of school hell yaaa".

Have a calendar hanging in your kitchen which includes more than just social gatherings. Pick to trick is the key here. If you want to show your family that you're a real grown up, include things like tests, deadlines, job interviews (fake or real!), bill due-dates. A little white lie can go a long way! In all seriousness, a good calendar can keep you organised and up to date on all your most important appointments, at the local bar.

8. Keep paperwork organized.

I have files for all my paperwork and have a shelf where I keep all of these labeled files. For example, you'll need one for school-work, one for finances, one for personal identification and insurance information, one for recipes, etc. Having piles of papers around the house is messy and annoying and shows that you're less ready for a .

9. White bed sheets.

Ditch the Spiderman or college-logo comforter for a duvet and a couple of crisp white duvet covers and pillow cases. Keeping your bedding minimal and clean is a sure way of showing that you've grown up.

10. Have a tidy sock and underwear drawer.

Please, for the love of God, don't think that your mother will not check your top drawer. My mum isn't a snooper. She usually doesn't care about a packet of cigarettes or a bit of weed hidden behind mine or my brothers' furniture, but she will be very turned off by unmatched socks and creased underwear.

11. Have hand towels in the bathroom.

Hand towels cost about $6 each, and are a mature addition to your home. (Also, I would say that the bathroom towels, mat included, should all be matching to show that you care about the aesthetic of the bathroom.)

12. Have coffee, tea and fancy snacks at the ready!

A sure way of showing your parents that you're finally the offspring they favor the most, is by always having the essentials in your house. Always have a selection of drinks and snacks that you reserve for house guests. This doesn't have to be expensive, because you can save them for guests only. I tend to set aside a bottle of wine, a bag of coffee, a box of tea bags, and some fancy cocktail nuts or Kettle Chips to serve to guests.