23 Reasons To Admit You’re 20 Going On 40

You love Target.

175

Being a 20-something when you feel 40 is quite interesting. You never feel like you’ve ever been able to fit in with your generation in so many ways.

1. You carry a large purse.

In that purse you have everything and anything you could ever possibly need. There are probably copious amounts of hand sanitizers, chap sticks, pens and pencils, Kleenex, first-aid supplies, etc.

2. You’d rather read or hang out at home than go out.

Going out requires way too much work, time, and money. Why go out when you can throw on some sweats and watch your favorite TV show with a glass of wine with friends?

3. Your wardrobe looks more like your mom’s than the people you see on your Instagram feed.

How many Portofino shirts from Express are too many? The answer is none. Chinos are pretty much a staple in your wardrobe as well.

4. You get tired and go to bed early.

12 o’clock is late to you. Chances are, you’re sleeping way before then.

5. You also wake up early.

Getting up at 9 AM is sleeping in to you.

6. You reminisce on when you were younger (as if you weren’t just a teen yourself).

You start sentences with “when I was in high school forever ago” even though it was only a few years ago.

7. People never believe your age.

When you’re 40 at heart, people never believe that you are your actual age. With maturity comes wisdom, I guess.

8. You relate more to older people than you do your own generation and people your age.

I have no idea what half of the stuff on my social media means. Like what is “bougie”? Why do people say “yeet”? What does “shacking” mean? You constantly have to ask people or look to Urban Dictionary to relate to people your age.

9. When it comes to shoe shopping, comfort always trumps style.

Never EVER sacrifice comfort for style, BUT there are shoes that are stylish and comfortable. They may just take longer to find. Your feet will thank you.

10. You chat up a storm with your friend's parents every time you're over.

You know everything about them and their lives. Your friends will be out back sitting around the fire while you’re sitting at the kitchen island gossiping with the parents.

11. Your Spotify playlists never have current songs.

I don’t know who half of the famous rappers are nowadays, but I can scream-sing every word to “December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night),” “I Will Survive,” and “Come On Eileen.” I could go on, but you get the picture.

12. You make sure you always have a coupon for wherever you’re shopping.

If there’s a coupon, you probably have one. You have an entire section of your purse dedicated to your coupons.

13. You’d rather shop at HomeGoods than go clothes shopping.

Why go through the long tedious process of searching for something you might like and then have to try it on when you can go get new wine glasses or a new centerpiece for your coffee table? Seems like a no-brainer. There’s no way to be disappointed in that.

14. You never pay full price for anything.

You never settle for anything less than 10% off of the original price.

15. Your stories are always a little less exciting than people your age.

While you’re bragging about finding a great deal at Nordstrom Rack or Bath and Body Works, people your age are bragging about how they shot-gunned 12 beers without puking or passing out. Deals are definitely more of an accomplishment, obviously.

16. You pretty much keep White Barn, Bath & Body Works, and Yankee Candle in business.

Chances are, you probably have at least half of the items in their store in your house. You get way more excited over candles than you should.

17. Your Pinterest boards are all about décor, weddings, fitness, and food.

Is there even anything else to pin?

18. You love Target.

You can spend hours in Target. You also probably always buy at least one thing from the dollar section.

19. You love to bake and cook.

Invites to go get dinner always end up with you asking, “How about you just come over and I’ll make some food?” To be honest, your food is probably better than wherever you were planning on going. We sure know that it was cheaper—thanks coupons!

20. You’re probably the mom of your friend group.

You’re always reminding your friends to put on sunscreen and to wear their seat belts. It comes with the territory.

21. You have a planner and you use it religiously.

Keeping your life organized is extremely important to you.

22. You actually do laundry the correct way.

It’s super important to separate the whites, lights, darks, delicates, etc. You NEVER use TidePods! You use detergent, fabric softener, and throw a dryer sheet in before drying. Doing it any other way is just cringe-worthy.

23. Your ideal date night is staying in instead of going out to some loud, over-crowded bar or restaurant.

Who wants to get all dressed up to go out when you could throw on some comfy clothes and snuggle up on the couch with a movie and some great snacks?

Let’s be real, being a 40-year-old at heart is way better than actually acting your age. Why waste time acting like anything other than how you truly want?