Get Acquainted With Upcoming Artist: AUDUBON

"I'm trying to live forever and ... right now it looks like music is that vehicle."

9

There's a huge message behind the music when it comes to this upcoming artist Audubon, he pays homage to the streets that raised him, the legends that came before him and the change he is trying to make with his platform. Audubon is a 28 year old Hip-Hop and R&B artists who yearns to keep the music culture alive and to bring something hot, new and different to the music industry. With him growing up in both New York and Florida, he has used the cultural differences from both states to apply a variety of cultural nuances to his music which gives him his own distinct sound that uniquely makes him the one and only, Audubon.

Where did you get your stage name Audubon from?

Audubon is a main avenue in the neighborhood where I live in New York. So I chose to name myself after that because that's the place where I learned a lot of things, that's where I had my first fight and etc., so that's why I felt I should name myself after an avenue that taught me so much and that I can represent when I go abroad.

What inspired you to get into the music industry?

It goes back to listening to my mom play music in the house, she would play a lot of eclectic types of music, she would listen to Barry White and then she would listen to Anthony Santos so we would play Hispanic music, American Music, and a whole bunch of different kind of genres around the house so that's where it initially sparked from. I was in chorus and glee clubs since I was younger as well but I wasn't really making music I just liked being apart of an ensemble and I liked it because we always took field trips outside of school and I just grew to love it.

When I moved out to Florida, I started battle-rapping and it was a way for me to rebel because I went from being in New York where I had all of this culture around me to moving to Florida where all there was were houses so I'm just like, what the fuck is this, so I was rebelling because of that, because of the lack of culture. That later motivated me to start writing and that's how I took my frustrations out. When I eventually moved back to New York that was when I started to take music seriously, and I put my first album out back in 2013.

How did your collaboration with ASAP Ferg come about?

A great friend of mine named Franky P. worked with him before, and when I was at Franky's house one day just working on some stuff ASAP Ferg came through and we were introduced to each other and later after that we linked up, was chillin' and vibing and it all happened so organically and we created about three songs that night.

What genre of music do you closely align with?

Alternative Hip-Hop is what I like to call it, where you also get some nuances of R&B and alternative sounds so that's what I closely align with.

Who are some inspirational people that you looked up to throughout your music career?

There's a couple people and I went through phases where I loved some artist more than others, but early on it was John Mayer. John Mayer is the reason I started writing my lyrics a little more complex, the way he was getting his point across in his songs was different and he helped me to think a bit more as I write so it helped me to structure my music better after I heard his music.

A lot of my influences are outside of hip-hop because most of the music I listened to when I was younger was different but I always wanted that because I wanted to be able to bring something different into the music I make as well. Thom Yorke from Radiohead was also a big influence for me early on as well just by how I made my beats and the timing of them. I was honestly influenced by so many artist and genres of music that it's hard to pinpoint every last one.

For the readers who never heard your music before, how would you describe your sound in two words?

Aquatic - Because my music is easy going but at the same time it can turn into a tidal wave.

Eclectic - Because my sound variates.

What was the process like creating your newly released album, Exile?

It was a bit chaotic but great at the same time though, I decided to leave New York to create this album and go to Miami which is my second home. I basically made this album in my friend's closet, he took out half his closet and we put a desk and a booth in there so I was in a condo in Miami creating this album. It was like a juxtaposition where it was like I'm in this little tiny closet locked up but if I were to go look out the window I have this crazy-amazing view and I needed that new energy to feel like I was in a dungeon but then again I really wasn't.

The process was crazy because I was flying back and forth from Miami and New York and I'm the one doing all of the work, I'm the one recording and mixing and going back and forth with the engineers and I'm mastering as well so being that I'm independent my job isn't done once I finish recording. It's hectic but it's a good hectic, I'm fighting for what's mine and for what I want the world to see so at the end of the day it's something that I'm absolutely fine with going through.

What are some things you would like to accomplish throughout your music career?

When it comes to receiving Grammy's and accolades of that nature that's not something that captivates me or motivates me because it's only a select handful of people who are recognizing you for your work. I personally have mortality issues because I'm trying to live forever and I was trying to find a way of how I can do that and right now it looks like music is that vehicle. I want to make some really good music that you can listen to a couple years down the line and my music will be a representation of my time here on Earth so that would be an amazing thing. I also want to bring my neighborhood (Washington Heights) some attention and make money to make change that's what I really want to do.

What's your favorite thing about performing?

I love performing because it's another way to connect with people and to get that live feedback, so it's a very powerful feeling and I love that feeling of making someone feel something at that moment and sharing that moment with my audience is amazing. Also seeing the smiles on people's faces, phones in the air, and being posted to people's social media is another thing I love.

Is there anyone that you're currently crushing on the industry that you hope comes across this article?

Haha, no one in particular. I have a crush on any female who is motivated, has plans and is trying to do something with her life, that's what attracts me. Whether she's a celebrity or regular girl it makes no difference to me. I don't like someone who stands still because there's a lot of shawty's out there who look pretty and just waiting around for something to happen.

What can we look forward to in the future?

Television show, new music, going on tour and so much more! My next album will be called Things To Do When No One's Watching so definitely stay tuned for that! I don't want to give to much away but I know for sure my fans will not be disappointed!

Instagram: @Audubon_

Twitter: @Audubon_

SoundCloud: Audubon Music