To The High School Senior Who Just Got Accepted To Florida State University

You've made the right choice on going to the best university in the nation.

16
Personal Photo

Congrats on getting into Florida State University! You're probably overcome with so many emotions right now (can't blame you, it's pretty exciting!) and you're wondering what to expect when you get to FSU. It's more than just a school, it's a life-changing experience. You're going to see that it's the best decision you've ever made, and even when you're away from home and feeling a little lost, just know that your Seminole family is behind you every step of the way.

On-Campus Living vs Off-Campus Living

As someone who lived off-campus all four years of college, I can't say I know much about dorm life, but I know that I missed out on those experiences. Ask a fellow Nole about their dorm years and they'll probably cough and wheeze when they think about the dorms in Salley (avoid!) or they'll brag that they got to enjoy Southgate (not a dorm but basically expensive dorm-style living). If you get to live in a dorm, you'll experience true college life. If you get to live off-campus, be smart with your housing and don't go for the expensive apartments in College Town!

Tallahassee Life

There's more to Tallahassee than just FSU. The state's capital is home to some of the most beautiful parks and trails, including The Rez (free to FSU students!) and Lafayette. There's also an insane amount of amazing local eats in Tally, from hidden gems like Woodchuck's to the rise of For The Table establishments, you'll always be able to find something good to stuff your face with. And when you need a history lesson, check out the Museum of Florida History or Mission San Luis. Remember, this is your home for the next few years. Get out there and explore!

21+ Club

If you're 21 or older, you'll find some pretty neat places to have a drink or two. Head to Bullwinkle's on Thursdays for $7 AYCD specials, Level 8 Lounge on weekends for an upscale ambiance, and Centrale for some bubbles during your Sunday brunch. Brunch is actually a huge deal in Tally and almost every restaurant has some sort of brunch special with signature mimosas or Bloody Mary's to pair beautifully with your stack of pancakes. Be smart, though, and look for good drink specials on a bar or restaurant's social media.

Game Days!

Fsu football games are the ultimate experience for any FSU student. You've got to make it a point to catch at least one game during the season! Basketball games at the Civic Center are an absolute blast too and a win at the Tuck leads to victory parties afterward! Baseball and softball games are full of energy, but be aware, the Tallahassee sun can really wear you out, so pick and choose which games you want to go to if you've got the sunscreen to cover you. Feeling like you want to support other sports? FSU has some amazing athletics, so head to any swimming/diving event, track and field meet, rowing event, or soccer game! No matter which sport you decide to follow, you're guaranteed to have a great time!

Tallahassee Weather

Florida weather is unpredictable, so prepare yourself! If you're a Florida native, you know that March through October are hot hot hot, but northern Florida climate can vary. Fall semester starts off toasty and ends with you layering multiple jackets and scarves, and spring semester brings rain and can be hot or cold, depending on the storms that roll in. Be ready to pack sweaters and beanies, but also bring your comfortable shorts and open-toed shoes. And of course, invest in some garnet and gold shirts!

Don't walk by HCB during Market Wednesday unless you want to be late for class.

Okay, so HCB is literally "Huge Classroom Building" and it sits right on Integration Way (you'll recognize this by the giant Integration statue on your big tour through campus) and on Wednesdays, a bunch of vendors and clubs will gather to give information and sell goods. This is a great time to support local artists and join clubs, but if you're running late for class or are having a crappy day, you don't want to get stuck in the madness of Market Wednesday!

Good Luck and Go Noles!

This is an exciting time for you and we're all excited to have another member in our Seminole family. Don't be afraid to ask for help or directions; we're here for you and we're one big happy family! Take pride in your school and in yourself! And as always, Go Noles!