Academic Probation To Dean's List

Academic Probation To Dean's List

It Is Possible, Trust Me

651
Academic Probation To Dean's List
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/01/25/636524925836346556-780256603_mountain-rescue.jpg

When I started college, I thought I knew what I was doing. I was going to major in business, get amazing grades, graduate on time, become really successful owning my own business, for one reason: money. My freshman year was nothing else but an actual train wreck. I actually got in a car wreck on the morning of my last final so there’s some symbolism to how the semester went. I thought I was doing fine. I didn’t have great grades but they were passing and everyone else seemed to be struggling too. I thought, eh, I’ll be fine. By that last month with finals around the corner, I became pretty confident that I would be fine. Besides, I barely had to study in high school.

It wasn’t until a couple weeks into December that I got an email after that semester had finished. The subject line read: an important message from the Dean. I thought, why would I get an email? I actually had no idea there was such a thing as academic probation. All I remember is that was the worst holiday season ever. Family and friends asking me how my semester went, me having to hide my failures. I will admit that I lied to friends and family and said that my semester went great. I was just scared of disappointment. I didn’t even tell my parents until they found out somehow and brought it up to me later that next semester. I felt like a failure. I had never gotten such bad grades in my life.

When a friend finally calmed me down and told me I have two semesters to bring up my GPA, I was relieved. I knew I had to work hard to get where I wanted to be, especially since it ended up taking until my Junior year to get to where I felt good about sharing my grades and GPA with others. Although I knew what I had to do, I knew that it wouldn’t be possible without God. I not only had to commit myself to school to follow my dreams, but I also had to change my major, something I never thought I would do.

"You have shown me the way of life and you fill me with the joy of your presence." Acts 2:28

Today I believe that God used this situation to teach me that I was in the wrong major all along. Instead of wanting to make a lot of money, God led me to something I secretly had a passion for but never realized. I changed my major to Journalism, and everything seemed to fall into place. By the next semester, I greatly improved my grades, confidence, and self-esteem. Sometimes God uses things that are important to you, in this case, money and security, to teach you that those things shouldn’t come before him.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all things will be added to you." Matthew 6:33

I am now almost a Senior and I made the Dean’s list for the first time. Seeing that piece of paper means more to me than it would have if I would’ve gotten it every semester. I know that God carried me to this spot and I am right where I am supposed to be. Please ask yourself: why did I pick this major? We are called to glorify God and make his name great. Figure out some way that you can use your major to further his kingdom, reach people, and share the gospel. Ask yourself: where does God want me to be? Pray about it. He could change your life like He changed mine.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. "

2 Timothy 4:7