Misunderstood Only Children

10 Things You Should Know About Only Children

We're unique and it's okay.

281

Being an only child can be a blessing and a curse depending on who's talking. As an only child, I've definitely experienced the highs and lows, but overall my childhood was pretty great. So here's a list of some traits you need to know about some misunderstood folk.

1. We're not spoiled little brats

Not all only children are spoiled, to be honest, if we are spoiled then it's our parent's fault. You can be spoiled but not bratty, there's a difference.

2. We enjoy alone time

Being alone is okay, try it sometime. You learn a lot about yourself.

3. We're not the center of attention

Just because we may be the apple of our parents' eye doesn't mean we believe the world is our oyster.

4. Loners? Nah

We can be very social people. Promise we aren't hermits living in a basement.

5. Our parents getting older is a concern

As only children we bear the burden of having to deal with our parents' death alone. It's not fair, but it's life.

6. There's a lot of pressure

As the only family rep, we put a lot of pressure on ourselves. SHINE!

7. We're the golden child and scapegoat

When it's good it's great, but when it's bad you're the only one to blame.

8. Our parents may be our best friends

Yeah that's right, my mom is my best friend.

9. We know how to share

Sharing is caring, kindergarten wasn't that hard for us.

10. We can be shy

We're given a lot of attention but that doesn't mean we particularly like it.