About Granddaddy

About Granddaddy

He is my little window to history and life.

About Granddaddy
Mikayla Woolwine

I have a window. It's full of stories, history, and life. It allows me to look at the past and learn just about anything. It is through those lessons that I can look to the future with a certain attitude, knowing just how far I can go. My wondrous window just happens to be my Granddaddy. Many of you have someone in your life that gives you a different perspective I'm sure, but for just one moment, I would like for you to get to know my Granddaddy, my window.

His stories are my favorite, I never get tired of them. From living in a boarding house in Beacon Hill in Boston, waiting for his dad's naval ship to leave the port during WW2 to going against his own mother's wishes for his future and joining the Air Force. From skipping school and getting caught in the country club swimming pool to racing cars on Jax Beach in the 60s. From playing in a band in Kansas to those soda parlor trips with Grandmama that I hear about so often.

When I think of my granddaddy, I think of him standing on a bench in Sanibel Island with his arms spread high, stretched to the sky pretending to call on the rain gods. I think of him bringing me hot coffee in the middle of a freezing softball practice. I think of my first time at the gun range. I think of him sitting in on my tea parties next to a giant stuffed panda. I think of him reading every single one of my articles and thinking I'm the best writer in the world. I think of that voice he does that no one else can imitate. I think of Chiquita stickers and guitars. I think of jumping off his shoulders and doing flips in the ocean.

He is one of my favorite people on this planet. His smile brings me happiness and when I look at him, I know everything will be okay. His hugs are a cure for any sadness in my life. His jokes always make me laugh. He has so many things to tell and memories to share and little keep-sakes to show. I absolutely adore them. And him. When I'm older, I want to be like him, making people laugh and telling endless stories. I want to have as many experiences and be as welcoming and open to others.

I hope anyone reading this has someone in their life that makes them feel just as special. I hope anyone reading this who has grandparents goes to them and takes the time to learn from their experiences and hear their stories. Tell whomever it is that you love them. You won't regret it, I know I don't.

So to the man that inspired this article and whose 81st birthday is on the 7th, I love you. Thank you for being the best granddaddy a girl could have. I know I am lucky to have you and I cherish every second spent with you.