8 Things We Know So Far About the Gilmore Girls Revival

Oy with the poodles already.

17
Gilmore Girls Official Facebook Page

In January, it was announced that we could look forward to the upcoming Gilmore Girls Revival miniseries. This news set social media on fire, and gave hope for some closure to Gilmore Girls fans all over the world. Initially, the only information we had on the miniseries was that it was going to be released on Netflix and that it was going to be written, produced, and directed by Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino, the show’s original creators. We also quickly learned that shooting would begin soon and would wrap sometime in the spring. This left fans hanging on every word that was released on the topic. Soon, we learned that Lauren Graham (Lorelai) and Alexis Bledel (Rory) would be returning, along with Scott Patterson (Luke) and Kelly Bishop (Emily.) Eventually, our hopes were brought up even more by the announcement that both Keiko Agena (Lane) and Sean Gunn (Kirk) had also decided to return to Stars Hollow. Not long after, it was officially announced that the revival would be released on Netflix as four 90 minute episodes, each one representing a season of the year in the life of a Gilmore. Some more big news came in July, when the official release date was announced! We learned that we can impatiently await its release on November 25th, 2016. So what other specifics do we know?

1.Melissa McCarthy IS returning as Sookie.

Although it was at first believed that McCarthy was too busy to fit filming into her schedule, she then made a huge announcement on the Ellen DeGeneres Show. She stated that she had just found out that she could indeed dedicate some time to the project and would be reprising her role as Sookie St. James! It is unknown how many episodes she will be appearing in, but at least we can look forward to seeing Sookie on the small screen once again!

2.Max Medina will not be making an appearance.

As much as creator Amy Sherman-Palladino wanted to incorporate Scott Cohen’s character, Max Medina, there was no room for him in the script. She told Entertainment Weekly, “One person I didn’t figure out how to get in was Scott Cohen, whom we love so much. Not that we’re not still thinking about him, but we couldn’t figure out how to get Max in there.”

3.Paul Anka (the dog Paul Anka, not the man) WILL be returning.

We found out in April that Sparky the Dog will in fact, be returning to reprise his role as our favorite dog, Paul Anka.

4.There will be some new characters.

We will meet a Peruvian couple named Berta and Alejandro, a man that never smiles, a Portuguese nanny, a 13-year-old, a 7-year-old, and a 5-year-old not previously mentioned, and we will get to meet Lane’s twins all grown up! Gilmore Girls always keeps us on our toes.

5.Bunheads star Sutton Foster will play a new character.

It is confirmed that Sutton Foster, star of one of Sherman-Palladino’s other creations, Bunheads, will be playing a new character in Stars Hollow, appearing in two episodes! Foster will be in both Spring and Fall! It was also confirmed that she will be singing in a Stars Hollow Musical. We can’t wait!

6.We will mourn the loss of Richard Gilmore.

Sherman-Palladino has made it clear that she will be acknowledging the death of Ed Herrmann, who played Richard. The revival will start a few months after the death of Richard Gilmore and it has been said that it will impact all of the characters.

7.Luke and Lorelai are NOT married. (Yet?)

Where the revival starts off, it has been confirmed that Luke and Lorelai will not be married. It has been speculated however, that they will be engaged when the revival begins. Many fans have speculated this due to the fact that in most of the promotional videos and posters, Lorelai’s left ring finger cannot be seen. Hmmm…

8.We don’t know who Rory ends up with (Yet?)

Sherman-Palladino has also revealed that we will start off the revival with an unmarried Rory, although she is dating. We don’t know who she is dating though… Jess? Dean? Logan? It has been rumored that one of the four main characters has a new love interest, so maybe Rory isn’t dating any of the exes we know and love? We will have to wait and see.

So far, we do not know much about the story line, but Lauren Graham (Lorelai) has said that this will wrap everything up for devoted fans and leave us truly satisfied. I don’t know about you, but I’m counting down the days! November 25th, let the binge watching begin!