ABC Family: Redefining The Modern Family

My oh my, have the family times have changed over the years!

8
Vulture

Did you ever hear about what the traditional family model was? Back in the day, the "average" family consisted of a mother, a father, and exactly 2.5 children (I guess just cut child #3 in half to get that half a child). However, as we all know, most family models do not fit that.

When I flipped to ABC Family's channel a few nights ago (to watch one of my favorite shows), I noticed how the channel increased the number of shows that do not follow the old family model. With these shows, ABC is covering the topic of family from several angles: race/ethnicity, religious/traditional, and special needs.

One such show that really hits on the angle of race/ethnicity would be none other than "Black-ish". This show takes a look at the family of Dre Johnson Sr. and wife Bow Johnson, an upper-middle class African American family. One thing that most channels with family shows forget is to not focus on another white family (we already have the hilarious "Modern Family" for that). What is interesting about this show is how Dre attempts to pass on his knowledge of urban culture to his three children who normally do not care. While we find this show hilarious, the show takes a look at how a family of a different race operates. Like any family, they have quirks, but that is like any other family in America.

For a show that looks at a more values-based family with a TON of problems, "The Real O'Neals" looks at a so-called "perfect family" that despite a more catholic upbringing, it is anything but that. Eileen O'Neal is the Catholic matriarch for the household, but her life soon turns upside down when son Kenny comes out, husband Pat wants a divorce, oldest son Jimmy is anorexic and daughter Shannon does not have the level of religious faith her mother hoped for. I know I mentioned how channels fail to look at other families that are not white, but this one is more focused on an old-school family that now has to deal with the changes in society.

Another thing I want to hit on with this show is that Pat is divorcing his wife. For a family-centric channel, ABC must have shocked viewers by having a family that is actually breaking up. However, this is just another thing that sets the show apart. There are a number of divorce families out there, and by having this show use a family that is in the middle of divorce, it really makes it stand out far more.

Another family perspective that ABC took a look at is the perspective of special needs families. While there are plenty of special needs families, it can be a challenge to portray such families of these circumstances in a humorous (but tasteful) way. Fortunately, ABC tackles this with the new (and very funny show), "Speechless".

This show focuses on the DiMeo family. This family consists of bold mother Maya, nonsensical father Jimmy, daughter Dylan, and sons Ray and J.J. In this show, J.J. is revealed to have cerebral palsy and experiences limited movement. Normally, there can be a challenge to finding humor in a family that has to deal with something quite massive, ABC makes this show a beautiful blend of heart and humor, perfectly capturing families that have a special needs child. It gives viewers the opportunity to see how these families operate and are like any other family out there.

Known for the more family-centric shows, ABC Family effortlessly portrays the family unit from a number of different perspectives. In watching these shows, we as viewers are able to see how all families, though they have different circumstances, are just like any other family. Families do not fit that ancient model anymore, and ABC Family shows how the family times have truly changed.