A Modern Study On Modern Materialism

A Modern Study On Modern Materialism

Materialism in Our Culture and How It Has Taken Root in Our Lives

18
A Modern Study On Modern Materialism
Photo by Jon Cellier on Unsplash

Our modern society has become a world infected with the vines and roots of innate materialism. People have become more or more obsessed about attaining purpose and self worth through their aquisition of a new coffee maker or desk lamp.

Materialism has become a staple of our society. It is what has driven many of us for a long time. Getting the next smartphone, th next gaming console, a garage of sports cars. It has become a measure of status in our society where you are the coolest person if you have the latest gadgets and possessions. We have drifted away from sentimentality and drifted towards commericiality.

We can look no further than the state of our nation's largest holidays. Thanksgiving, a holiday that once symbolized being thankful for what you have been given and what you have, has become a day used to prepare for the biggest sale of the year by many of our society's biggest retail corporations. This includes chains like Walmart, Target, and Best Buy. Even our malls have become centers for herds of shoppers to flock to fill their material desires.

There is, of course, nothing wrong with purchasing items for personal desires and happiness. That is normal for any human being. However, for many, it has become an obsession and a measure of their worth. It has gone to a point where is has become a "spend first" mentality. Get a paycheck, spend it on something luxurious. A new tv, new clothes, etc.

As a society, we need to change our mentality towards being less materialistic and buy things more on necessity and practicality than desire. Wanted new stuff is fine, but when it comes to a point where it becomes the driving factor of your life as a whole, that is where it becomes problematic.