A Letter To My Professors

A Letter To My Professors

We are trying our best, please be patient with us.

318
A Letter To My Professors

To my professors,

I'm not a straight-A student by any means, but I try my hardest to put out the best work that I can under normal circumstances. Since shifting to online classes, I have received countless emails, notifications, revised syllabuses, and general CANVAS updates. I'm overwhelmed by all of the changes and I'm sure you are too. Most of you have recognized how difficult it is to focus and you've lessened the workload. I just want to say thank you! Thank you for the countless hours you've put in to make your syllabus work online; thank you for checking in on your students; thank you for realizing that you can't continue on with the same schedule because it just won't work anymore. It's appreciated more than you know.

To my professors that refuse to utilize CANVAS, please consider how this affects our learning. Consider how stressful it is not being able to see our grades or communicate through discussion posts. I don't like conducting discussion through email or taking timed quizzes over email. My email can be slow and it's hard to get a word in when 25 students are commenting at once. Please adapt. Being an educator means you need to be able to adapt to these situations. I don't care how long you've been teaching; there is always room to learn and improve. The university handed you the tools to make learning and communicating easier, so please use them.

I know you didn't sign up for online classes and I understand that this experience is just as new for you. It's definitely a big change and I'm willing to be patient. As a student, I don't appreciate being kept in the dark. Everything already feels uncertain and my anxiety is high. I don't have a job, two of my family members are sick, and I haven't been able to be in my own house for weeks. Please be patient with me if I email you excessive questions or turn in late-work. Please understand that I'm battling my mental health right now and I feel buried under it. We are all trying our best to make it through.

Here is a big thanks to those that have made this a smooth transition, you have no idea how wonderful it is knowing your professors care about your well-being. To those struggling with adapting to online classes, please consider getting some help. Use CANVAS. Your students will appreciate it!

Sincerely,

A full-time student and cat mom