A letter to my deploying marine
Dating

A letter to my deploying marine

I will miss you with all my heart, see you in 3 years.

13
A letter to my deploying marine

To my deploying Marine:

This really sucks. Our last weekend together will be filled with goodbyes. We met in college and had a great 5 months of what felt like forever. Family, friends, anyone who hears your story will be telling you good luck. Eventually I will have to say it, but for now it can wait. You will soon be halfway across the world fighting battles that I cannot help you win. I will not be able to take care of you when you aren't feeling well, and I won't be able to make sure you get enough sleep at night. The one thing I can do is wait for you. 3 years is a long time, but I know you're worth the wait.

Every week, day, hour, minute or even second that passes while you're gone will feel like it is dragging by. I will wait for emails and texts when you can send them. I will write you letters whenever I can. I only hope you receive them, and I get some back. I will be ecstatic for the few phone calls and video chats I will be able to have with you. I will wait for the sweet, sweet day you come home.

Until that day, I will be keeping myself busy with focusing on school, and I will prepare everything I can for when you get back. I will take care of any small problems or complications that may come up that you will not be able to handle. I will be there for your family, as they will be there for me. I will love you more each and every day.

There are things that you will have to do, too. You will focus on your job and do everything you can to keep yourself safe. You will also have to wait each of those heavy minutes until you can come home. You will know that I love you, and that I will be there as soon as you get back. In the very back of your head, you will remember how much we have to look forward to upon your return.

Together, but far, far apart we will make it through this. It will not be easy, but we will do it. We will have such a sweet reunion, and that is always something to look forward to. We will love each other, and we will miss each other. We will count down the days. We will write each other letters when we can. We will wait.

We have all the time in the world together, because I will always be waiting for you. I will always be there on the bad days and the good days. No matter how much we may argue or bicker, I will never leave you. No matter how many times we have to go through this sad routine, no matter how many times we are separated because your job requires it, I will always be waiting on you to come home. I may not have chosen this lifestyle, but I wake up every day and choose you. It will always be you. Always. This won't be an easy thing for us. This will only be something that makes our relationship stronger. You may never understand how much I truly love you, but I will try to show you every day.

Although we are in college, I'm a firm believer that we belong together. In those 5 months meant the world to me. I've never felt pain like that… to hug someone and feel so much love. Now I know you will tell me I can move on with my life, since we are so young. My response will be that although I know I can move on, but I most likely will choose not to. I have faith and hope in this.

This is not a goodbye, but a see you soon. I love you.