A Letter To My Best Friend's Mom

A Letter To My Best Friend's Mom

Thank you.

404
A Letter To My Best Friend's Mom
By Phoebe Velez

My best friend and I have been attached at the hip since the seventh grade. Her mother, who all our friends and I referred to as "Mom," sadly lost her battle with melanoma on June 13th.

She always loved my Odyssey articles—she read every one I posted and would often follow up with me about them. So, I thought I'd write one in her honor. One in which I say everything to her that I would have liked to. So here goes nothing...

Hi, Momma Rossi.

Hope all is well up there. You're probably sitting somewhere, seltzer in hand, dropping a brilliant one-liner to whoever needs some savage advice. And I have no doubt that you're smiling that radiant smile that everyone down here knew and loved.

This was unexpected, to say the least. Everything happened so quickly, but I'm thankful that you aren't in pain anymore. And I'm grateful that you were surrounded by love until the very end because that's the very least that you deserve, and not everyone gets that gift.

I just wanted to take some time to thank you.

Thank you for my best friend. Kristina is one of the most amazing people I know. She keeps me sane but isn't afraid to call me out on my BS when needed. She's also one of the most passionate, hardworking, talented, and genuine people in my life...and the apple definitely didn't fall far from the tree. I'm beyond lucky to have someone like her in my corner.

If I was at your house for so much as five minutes, I made sure to thank you for having me over. But it goes way deeper than that... because it wasn't just for me. Thank you for always welcoming anyone and everyone with open arms. No matter what was going on in your life, you wouldn't hesitate to do whatever you could to help somebody else. Your selflessness was something that always inspired me.

Your unconditional love and support for those you hold close were always made clear. If Kristina and/or any of her friends were in a performance of any sort, you'd drop everything, and we always found you in the front row. Even when you were taking care of those closest to you. Your positivity was unmatched, and your capacity to care was unlike anything I'd ever seen. And that never went unnoticed. By anyone.

Yours is by far the strongest family I know, and that strength inspires me every day. I promise to always look out for Kristina, and that I'll be sitting in the front row at her Broadway debut for you. And I promise that not a day will go by in which I don't think of you. Until I see you again...thank you for everything, Momma. I love you.