Kelly, You're The Greatest Friend I've Ever Had

Kelly, You're The Greatest Friend I've Ever Had, Let Me Tell You Why

We go back a long way, buddy!

165

Who would have thought that a friendship that started seven years ago has yet to fully blossom? Who would have thought that we would be attending the same middle school, high school, and college? I feel like it was more than fate that we became best friends. You are by far the greatest friend I've ever had, and the world wouldn't be the same without you.

You are one of the primary catalysts of my growth and development as a person. You're frankly one of the most understanding and considerate souls I have met, yet still very frank and down-to-earth. I love how we can tell each other pretty much everything, and that you are comfortable enough to tell me to my face that I am doing something wrong.

I appreciate the constant and healthy communication we have, and despite the several rocks and nosedives our friendship has gone through over the past year, I believe this communication is the reason why you are still my friend today. You've taught me to be far more sensitive to other people's pain, suffering, and other unfortunate circumstances, which has allowed me to in turn increase my sympathy, empathy, and compassion, traits that are so critical for me to practice medicine.

I have no idea how you manage to tolerate my outbursts of biochemistry, love for anime, ranting, gummy bears, and my overall weirdness. Unlike most people that I interact with on a daily basis, I can be 100% authentic around you, because I'm that comfortable. I still wonder what made you want to even be my friend, given my own flaws, interests, and insecurities.

There were times when I felt that I was simply unworthy of being your friend. For the seven years that I have known you, you have always had such a big heart of such staggering size that I just cannot emulate. You are such a kind person who inspires me to be better than I was yesterday, a person who can be more than just the sum of my parts.

We have gone through so much together, especially in the rough periods of junior year of high school, where we supported each other and kept each other sane despite the various tumults and adversities that plagued us. I profoundly remember Cartoon Club where we managed to raise so much money for charity. I remember our daily train rides and conversations. I remember when we wished to go to the same college so we wouldn't lose touch. I wonder how two people have the same personality type yet very different interests.

I can already tell that this is going to end on a cliche note, but that's okay. Despite the setbacks that we each face, we always bounce back, stronger than before. I sincerely hope that we manage to attend the same institution after college, and I can already tell from your intelligence, perseverance, and dedication to becoming greater than you were before that you will be successful. Take my word for it.

Kelly Wang, thank you for everything. Here's to an awesome future, and I promise you that I'll always have your back every step of the way.