A Guide To All Nighters

All-Nighters Aren't Easy, But They're Doable, Here's How

It's time, y'all.

65

In the midst of finals season, having pulled more all-nighters than I would have liked, I thought it would be useful to share some advice on how to properly pull an all-nighter.

First off, I would like to start by saying this is not what you should be doing. Sleep is very important, but having said that, sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day to study everything, so for those rare occasions, I would like to give some advice.

Coffee. Does it really keep you awake? I personally feel that cold coffee is the best option. Hot coffee works for a short amount of time and then you crash. A new alternative I have discovered is ice cream. Because it is cold and extremely sugary, it kept me wide awake from 7 AM until my math midterm had ended.

Moreover, after a while, I think it is important to sit around people or even your friends. Seeing people actually working can motivate you to work. In my opinion, the library is one of the best places to study because you are surrounded by people that need to get work done. Additionally, even talking to your friends for a few minutes once in a while can help bring back some energy, but it is important to resume working quickly.

Taking naps during all-nighters can be either detrimental or useful. I have seen people knock out for 20 minutes and get up energized and ready to work. However, sometimes a nap can turn into a five-hour sleep and no studying gets done. I suggest you set an alarm or better yet, ask someone to wake you up in a certain amount of time.

Most importantly, give yourself deadlines. Thinking that you have the whole night can lead you to take extra time to do tasks and getting less done in the end.

I wish everyone the best luck for finals.