A Defense of "He's All That"

A Defense of "He's All That"

Addison Rae is not a terrible actress.

39
A Defense of "He's All That"

He's All That is a Netflix original teen romantic comedy, starring Addison Rae.

It perfectly encapsulates every single teenage troupe into one movie: a pink girly girl, the reject who is shunned until given a makeover, a bet gone wrong, karaoke, and of course, prom.

Let's be honest here. Is this movie groundbreaking? No. Is it cute and sometimes funny? Yeah.

Is that enough for me? Yes, yes it is.

The movie is pretty good when you aren't trying to hate it, and it has its sweet moments too. The only thing I can't defend is the dance-off. The movie lost me there. Basically, I think if you remember it is a teen rom-com remake, it does the job well.

I don't think the movie deserves the low, average 30% it has on many platforms (I'd give it like a 55%), and here's why.

1. The Premise is Good

She's All That (which is what this movie is a gender-swapped remake of) is a staple teen rom-com so the premise was bound to be good. I think the classic bet to turn someone into prom king or queen is a classic that I don't think can be improved upon.

In this instance, it also makes sense for our characters to do this style of bet as Addison Rae's character is known for makeovers before the plot begins anyways and she needs a great date and prom king to regain her followers and brand deal. Madison Pettis' character (my favorite of the movie) was revealed to be a villain so her motivation makes sense as well.

2. The Romance is Sweet

I think it is paced decently as well. The first interactions between Addison Rae's character and her future man are extremely awkward. While some may see that as a flaw, I thought it added to the angst (and I'm a sucker for angst). It grows pretty naturally from there, with them becoming friends first and learning more about each other.

When the romance actually grows real, it makes the watcher anxious because of the knowledge of the bet, just like in the first one, which I absolutely love.

3. The Actors are Good as Well

Addison Rae plays her character well as she plays Padgett, a popular internet personality. Tanner Buchanan plays Cameron, Padgett's brooding future beau. I think he was good in particular because his comedic timing was well done. The rest of the cast was decent!

All in all, I truly think it's worth a watch if you're in the mood for a new rom-com.