A To Z Of Owing A Dog

A To Z Of Owning A Dog

An A to Z list of things you should know if you own a dog.

106
A To Z Of Owning A Dog
Personal Photo

​​Attention

Give lots of attention to your pup and he/she will give lots of attention to you!

Behavior

Learn your dog's behavior. Watch what makes them scared or anxious and be aware of that.

Continue to train

Continue to train your pup even when they get older. Mine is almost 7 years old and still will learn new tricks.

Don't give up

Dogs are a lot of work. Don't give up on them and they won't give up on you.

Exercise

Dogs need lots of exercise, especially puppies! If you have a dog, be prepared for lots of walks and fetching.

Friends with dogs

Having friends with dogs is a great way to get your pup socialized.

Grooming

Some dogs require a lot of grooming and others don't. Ask your vet what would be the best for your dog's breed. All dogs need their nails clipped. Find a local groomer or clip them yourself!

House training

House training can be difficult but it's worth it. Keep your pup on a feeding schedule and take them to the same spot to use the potty. For my dog, I used pee pads then transitioned to the outside.

Identification

Keep your dog identified by having a collar on your dog. My dog's tag has her name and my phone number on it. This will help if him/her gets lost.

Jumping

Many dogs will jump when they see humans. It's a super common behavior among most dogs and can be hard to control. If not controlled, your dog could accidentally hurt someone. Some dogs could easily knock over an adult or child.

Know the special needs of your dog breed

Some dogs may have special needs depending on the breed. For example, how to groom them, how much exercise they need, and any nutritional needs.

Love, obviously!

Dogs need lots of love. I set aside cuddle time each day for my dog!

Micro-chipping

Getting your dogs micro-chipped is also a good way to keep your dog identified. If your pup gets lost, vets or shelters can scan your dog for your contact information.

Nutrition

Dogs need to eat healthy and nutritious foods. Get a good, healthy dog food and don't give a lot of treats. Some healthy "human food" you can give them are all natural peanut butter, cooked fish, eggs, and honey.

Obedience Training

Obedience training is great to properly train your dog. It can teach them the basics like sit, lay down, come and stay.

Pet Poison Control Hotline

Having the pet poison control hotline readily available can be very helpful. The number for the Pet Poison Helpline is 855-764-7661.

Quality of Life

Your dog will give you a better quality of life. Dogs can help your mental and physical health and relieve stress.

Rewards

Remember to reward your pup when they do something good. This will remind them that what they did makes you happy.

Socializing

Getting your dog socialized with humans and other dogs is essential. Taking them to a dog park or pet stores will help get used to other people and dogs.

Travel

If traveling, make sure you find an adequate dog sitter. If you can bring your pup, make sure you have plane arrangements, dog-friendly hotel, and that you have things for your dog to do too. Leaving your pup all day in a hotel room alone is unfair for them.

Upset stomach

Your dog may throw up or get diarrhea if they have an upset stomach. If they get an upset stomach, like humans, stick to bland foods. Foods like rice and chicken are great to cure an upset stomach. If symptoms continue, take them to the vet!

Vet visits

Vet visits are a good way to keep track of your pet's health. Just like humans, they need to get their health checked. I take my dog every year to make sure she's in tip-top shape.

Wireless fence

A wireless fence is great for a yard. We trained my dog with a wireless fence when she was a puppy and now she doesn't even need it anymore.

X Pen

X Pens are like playpens for dogs. They come in all different sizes for dogs. It's great to use if you want to keep your dog in one place but also giving them room to play.

Yard

Having a yard for your dog is great! Make sure there isn't any poisonous plants or chemicals in the grass or gardens. If you don't have a yard, you can take them to a dog park! Be aware of any dog poop or leftover treats that people may have left.

Zoomies

Dogs will get the zoomies. Zoomies is when your dog may get hyper and run around in circles for a short period of time. They may do it in the house or outside. It's just a way to get their energy out.