9 Tips for an LDR

9 Things You Can Do In A Long Distance Relationship To Bring You Two Closer Together

From the brain of a girl who's been doing 3000 miles for almost two years.

107
https://pixabay.com/en/holding-hands-couple-1149411/

So you fall for this guy (or girl) and you have amazing conversations, beautiful dates, and incredible quiet moments. It's like a fairy tale. But then you realize that fairy tales are for storybooks, and you two can't live in the same place, the same town, or even the same state. But just because you two have to part ways, does not mean you have to part hearts.

1. FaceTime Dates

Just like in any other relationship you two can, and should, have dates. Classically most people go out on Saturday, but you can do whenever works for you! These can be simple, 30 minutes just talking to catch up on your day, dressing up and ordering the same delivery, or even watching a movie together. As long as you're both there it'll be worth it. While it can be hard to not physically be there seeing their face and hearing their voice can make a world of difference.

2. Text

It may sound obvious, but it's super important! Tell them about your boring boss, text them something funny your coworker said, make them a part of your life. Remember, other couples can see each other a couple of times a week and talk about the mundane things that happened in their day, you and your SO have to make an effort.

3. Send Pictures

Not those pictures (I mean if that's what you want to do, go for it). It is important to keep your significant other in the loop. Make the other person feel like they are part of your day. Even if it's just the pretty leaves on your way to work, it shows the other person that you're thinking about them and that you want them to be involved in your life.

4. Tell Them Things

Sometimes it can be hard to remember to tell your SO that you made a new friend at work, or that you finally got your eyebrows waxed. It can be hard to remember the little things. Sometimes it can be the opposite, you get so caught up in telling them how you continually stub your toe on the same part of your desk at work that you forget to tell them that you had your kidney removed. It's important to make sure that you don't forget to make the other person feel like they are a part of your everyday life.

5. Take Some Alone Time

In most relationships, it is easy to be separated from your SO - you just physically separate yourself. But with distance comes the feeling of always being alone, and never being alone. You and your SO may text all the time and sometimes it can take you away from the things that are happening in your life. As much as you want to interact with them all the time, a bit of time not FaceTiming or not texting back and forth can be healthy, for both of you.

6. Talk About Them

It can be really helpful for you to talk about your SO to friends or family members. Reminisce about the times you two had and about your plans for the future. While this can be really healthy, it can also be detrimental to your other relationships. If your SO is the only thing you talk about, then try writing these thoughts down instead.

7. Write Them A Letter

This is like a free (postage only) present you get to surprise your SO with. It is always exciting to find something in your mailbox, and a letter from someone you love, telling you how much they love you, is an amazing gift. Include drawings or funny stories to make sure your SO knows how much you care. Also, it's a lot easier to tell them really mushy or embarrassing things via letter, because then you don't have to see their immediate reaction.

8. Ask Them What They Need

Since you don't actually see the other person everyday it can be hard to know what is going on in their brain. If they're happy, sad, or confused, you probably won't know unless you ask. When you're talking to your SO you both try to focus on the positives going on in your life. You don't want to bring down the atmosphere of the one time a week you get to talk to them for more than 10 minutes, but maybe it's what they need. No matter how much of a superhero your SO is, chances are that they sometimes have a bad day, and asking them what you can do to help them, or to make them feel loved can make a huge difference.

9. Try

Look, everything else in this article can be forgotten about if you follow this rule: Try. Even if it feels weird or awkward, try. Show your SO that you're there and that you care. Try to show them that no matter how grey the day, you'll stand in the rain with them. As long as you (both) try to make the relationship succeed, no amount of distance can keep you apart.