9 Ways To Break Free From Your Phone

9 Ways To Break Free From Your Phone

It's time to stop living in the world in your hand.

22
9 Ways To Break Free From Your Phone
SmarterWare

As I left work today, I headed towards the doors, I pulled my keys out of my bag, took off my badge, and then grabbed my phone (you know the drill). As I approached the door I went to go glance at my phone to see what I had missed out on during my shift, but on my eyes' journey down to the screen I was distracted by what I saw in front of me. On the other side of those large glass doors leading into the store a woman stood staring at her phone. Now in this day of age seeing people staring mindlessly at their phones is not that uncommon, but this woman was literally six inches from the glass. Seriously. I had to crack open the door and say "excuse me" before she ever looked up.

SERIOUSLY.

A door that (I can only imagine) weighs hundreds of pounds opening six inches in front of your face doesn't even get your attention?! Once I finally got past her I was still so blown away by what I had just experienced. Questioning her sanity and what may have happened if someone else so glued to their phone as she was had swung that door open into her. I started walking to my car and I caught myself pulling out my phone again. I realized how pitiful (and dangerous) our addiction to technology has become. I made a vow to release (or at least loosen) my chains to my cell phone. We all know we are too dependent on our technology. We all also know that Facebook is addictive (I mean that's probably what brought you here, amiright?!), Twitter is like a good episode of a raunchy reality show, and it's a lot harder to cook dinner without Pinterest. So maybe we don't want to forever cast off our phones, but I don't think any of us want to get hit in the face by a door either. Here's some steps get to that happy medium:

1. Plug your phone in across the room at night

At the end of your day, when you crawl into bed it's your time to unwind and relax. Reading up on the worlds drama and flooding your brain with DIY projects you're dying to try isn't going to help. Plugging your phone in to charge at night across the room keeps you from constantly checking it while trying to shut off your brain and go to sleep. Plus, it can help prevent too many snoozes (that's totally a word, right?)

2. Leave your phone in the car

Obviously in some situations having your phone on you can provide a safeguard. Although some times when you're out, especially if you're with someone or in an environment you feel comfortable, leaving your phone in your car can allow you to experience the things you would have missed before. Think about all the cute clothes you may have missed while trying to shop and text.

3. At someones house/lunch/etc. leave your phone in your bag

It's cheesy and overused but it's true, we have to cherish the time and the relationships we have. It's awesome to have social media to keep up with friends and family while we're apart. Although the real thing is always better, so enjoy the real time updates on the life sitting in front of you.

4. DO NOT DISTURB during date night ;)

Having one on one time with your SO is so important. Just being in the same room while one (or both) of you are staring at your phone doesn't fulfill that connection. Plus there's some parts of date night that are just for the two of you. ;)

5. Wear a watch (but not your phone on your wrist)

Personally I've noticed a snowball effect that my phone has on me. I pull it out to check the time, then I see a message or a notification, then I get wrapped up in my news feed. Eliminating that initial snowflake that creates that snowball can cut down on how often you get caught up on your phone. Wearing a watch can cut down on how often you pull out your phone, although wearing a smart watch really doesn't solve anything. Go old school. Vintage. It's chic.

6. Turn off social media notifications

This point goes along with the last. The less notifications you're constatly being flooded with the less you're tempted to get on social media and get scrolling.

7. Have certain times of your free time to check social media and certain times to avoid it

This tip has helped me a lot. I don't check my phone the first thirty minutes of my day so I can clearly think and plan out my day, nor when I'm going to sleep so I can relax and unwind. My fiance and I set aside time during the day we aren't allowed to be on our phones. We decided the first 90 seconds we get home, during our meals, and at night our phones stay in the other room. It's a fact that routines form habits, so after sticking to these rules for awhile it will eventually become a way of life.

8. Ole Paper and Pen

Our phones can be super resourceful, they're definitely not all bad. Although if you're like me sometimes you get on your phone with the intent of being productive and end up reading up on how to re-purpose mason jars or something. Instead try pulling out the old scroll and quill feather pen. Or at least the fun colored pens and highlighters and make being productive pretty and color coordinated without the temptation of those (adorable) mason jars.

9. Focus More on Making Memories than Capturing Them

I love pictures. I love taking pictures and having them hanging all over my house. However, it's important to remember to make the memories and more pay attention to the world around you rather than the small amount of the world that will fit on your screen.