9 Tips To Surviving Your First Two Years Of College

These will come in handy, I promise.

15
Unsplash

There's a lot more that goes into surviving college than people think. The first 2 years of college I feel are the biggest times adjustment before you graduate.They were for me, anyway. And in my experience over the last two years, I've learned a few tricks along the way that have helped my make it all the way through my sophomore year.

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Not only has this helped me focus more at school, but it's also helped me outside of it. When you don't let the smallest things get to you, your life becomes so much easier.

2. Time management is key

I have always been to procrastinate and wait until the absolute last second to do something, and I still am, sometimes. I learned very fast that time management is an important skill to have as you go through college. And if you lack that skill (like me), you will quickly learn it. The way I learned this skill was buying a planner and keeping up with each of my assignments.

3. Get involved.

I didn't do this until recently, unfortunately. I joined Odyssey Online for KSU and I could not be happier with my decision. It has helped my create a bigger friend group and meet girls who all have similar interests to me. Getting involved is a great way to make friends and trust me, you'll need them to survive college!

4. Don't buy your books, rent them.

If you can avoid buying any type of textbook, do it. It will save you a lot of money in the end which we all need since we're broke college students faking it 'til we make it.

5. Sell the books you do buy and don't need anymore.

Whether you personally sell it to someone or do book buyback on campus, this is a great way to earn a little bit of money back that you spent on textbooks. Awesome!

6. Use your meal swipes accordingly.

As a freshman, you pretty have enough swipes to last you a semester and a half. However, as you transition from freshman to sophomore and move off campus, you're limited to about 7-14 swipes. I did not use them accordingly this past semester and I regret it. Halfway through the semester I was out and couldn't use the dining hall. So, my advice to all you off-campus sophomores, only use your swipes when you absolutely need to!

7. Always take up a professor's extra-credit opportunity.

I mean, you're getting free points, why wouldn't you do it. It helps a lot more than you think!

8. Be flexible.

Your professor isn't always going to stick to the syllabus schedule, or something might happen that causes certain deadlines and test dates to change. The best way to survive situations like this is just to be flexible with it all and work with it as best you can.

9. Enjoy it.

Enjoy your newfound freedom, but let it get to your head too much. But have fun, enjoy your years before you have to start getting too serious.

These little tips and tricks can be helpful for anyone, especially rising freshman and sophomores! Don't worry, I got your back.