9 Things You Know To Be True If You've Attended A University In The South

There's nothing like a homecoming celebration in the South.

9
Katie Denis

Being a student at a university in the South is quite the experience. From the Comfort Colors tees to the football, there’s a way for everyone to share their school spirit and pride. Here are nine things you know to be true if you attend a university in the South!

1. If you’re a native of the state where you’re attending the university, you’re likely going to know at least one person there.

Whether it’s your best friend, someone you met at camp, a family member, someone from your school, or someone you went to church with, you’re likely going to know at least one person at the university. Hey, it gives you someone to go to lunch with and explore the campus with!

2. Comfort Colors, Comfort Colors everywhere!

I never knew about Comfort Colors t-shirts until I came to college. I don’t know if I was living under a rock or what, but I’ve been hooked ever since I wore my first Comfort Colors t-shirt. They’re so comfy… and comfortable!

3. Greek life is a big deal!

Greek life can even run in a family, too! If you meet someone in your sorority at another university or a social event, you two are automatically friends!

4. Girls State girls and Boys State boys we’ll always be!

Although you participate in Boys State and Girls State when you’re in high school, it’s always seeing someone from your city at the same university as you!

5. Homecoming is one of the biggest celebrations of the year!

I don’t know who came up with the idea of a homecoming for any type of university or school, but they sure did come up with a great idea! It’s always a little more festive on campus around that time of year and they have cool shirts commemorating the big event! Oh, and don’t even get me started on homecoming court!

6. Football is a BIG deal!

If you’ve been to one of the football games, chances are you’re going to know the popular cheers, and you better know your university’s fight song.

7. You never know what kind of clothing you’ll need or what the weather is going to be like.

It could be 40 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning and 90 degrees in the afternoon. Either pack a change of clothes or put clothing for warmer weather under your sweatshirts, sweat pants and jackets! Oh, and you always know to have rain boots as well as an umbrella on hand at all times!

8. Your family is going to wear your school colors, too.

I can’t tell you how delighted I was to finally go to a school where they had t-shirts on sale for my family! The high school that I went to didn’t have a lot of options, but there was an abundance of parental university apparel when I came to college and I loaded up on it! By the way, it makes great Christmas gifts!

9. School spirit is engrained in you!

The minute you come to school, you’re bombarded by students and faculty welcoming you to campus with their big smiles and open arms! If your university is anything like mine, you’ll have people that will even help move you into the dorm your freshman year! Throughout your time there, you’ll acquire a multitude of t-shirts and likely fall in love with your school!

Wherever you go, your university will have its own unique character. Universities in the South may be rivals depending on your conference, but we stand together in times of need, and that’s one of the things that’s so endearing about the South! Enjoy your time in college, the friends you make, and the new experiences that you’ll have! You only get to be a first-time college student, once y’all!