9 Things New Hokies Should Know

9 Things New Hokies Should Know

The overlooked items that shouldn't be missed.

181
9 Things New Hokies Should Know
Virginia Tech

Calling all new Hokies: Your first year at Virginia Tech will come with many surprises. And being the eager students that you all are, you've probably already taken it upon yourselves to Google all of the "Top 10" Hokie articles to be best prepared for your new journey at one of the greatest universities in the country. More likely than not, these articles probably mention the hype football games, the awful winters (and bipolar weather), the amazing food, the campus involvement, etc. While all of those things listed are very well important, I've gathered a list of 9 things that are typically overlooked when coming in as a new student at a large school like Virginia Tech.

1. There's more to southwest Virginia than just Virginia Tech.

We have some of the best hiking trails in state. To name a few: the Cascades, McAfee Knobs, Tinker Cliff, Dragon Tooth. Find a friend with a car and make the 45-60 minute car ride further into the mountains. I promise, you won't regret giving up a few weekends of "Netflix and chill" for the views you'll get of Southwest Virginia — especially the frozen waterfall at the Cascades in the winter.

2. Don't be afraid to make new friends.

Virginia Tech is a huge university. You won't ever know every single person on campus. But don't let that intimidate you. Meet people who you would never expect yourself to meet and befriend them. They'll teach you more about yourself than you would ever expect to learn.

3. Don't be afraid to let go of old friends.

People change when they're in college. Your friends from high school will change, and so will you. It's normal to lose touch with a few friends. You'll let a few friends go, and a few of your friends will let you go in return. Don't take that too personally. The friends that are meant to stay in your life will.

4. Be prepared to fundraise.

We're a university that loves to give back. There are constantly fundraisers throughout the school year for everything from raising money for Relay For Life to raising money to support a Hokie going through a hard time. And many of these fundraisers are done through http://www.tilt.com. Make sure to download the app to make fundraising even easier!

5. Walk, run or bike on the Huckleberry Trail.

Also known as "The Huck," this trail is accessible just a little off campus and leads you 13 miles all the way into Christiansburg. Escape the stresses that often come with college by talking a breath of fresh air and going on a walk, run or bike ride through the Huck.

6. Go to a career fair or two.

Virginia Tech keeps close ties to some of the biggest companies in the nation — GM, Ford, Rolls Royce, Accenture, Johnson & Johnson, Frito Lay, KPMG, PWG, EY, Deloitte, just to name a few — and most recruiters are Tech alumni. Don't think that just because you're a freshman, you shouldn't go to a career fair. If anything, going to a career fair as a freshman will only help your chances down the road. Yes, most companies look for upperclassmen for their summer internships, but talking to recruiters as a freshman will open up more doors for you in the future. Many companies will see the dedication from you, and some may even give you an interview or an offer. Show them you're willing to learn and want to gain experience early. Don't sell yourself short just because you're a new student.

7. Learn about Virginia Tech traditions.

Virginia Tech is a university that was built off of traditions, and our traditions run deeper than just jumping to "Enter Sandman" or shaking our keys during a key play. From the flaming VT in the fall to the first cadet vs. civilian snow ball fight in the winter, to the junior class Ring Dance in the fall, our traditions are what make your time here as a student and as an alumni so special. They're traditions that connect us with Hokies across the world. Not many students can say that about their universities.

8. Embrace "Ut Prosim" as your way of life.

Our university motto, "Ut Prosim — That I May Serve," will become a part of your lifestyle while you're a student at Virginia Tech, and it will stay with you long after you leave. You will find yourself holding doors for strangers 20+ feet away. You will find yourself explaining to prospective students what makes this university so great. You will find yourself raising awareness and money for the largest collegiate Relay For Life event in the nation. You will soon find yourself living out Ut Prosim every day, serving not just our university but also the surrounding community and world outside of Virginia Tech.

9. This community will become your home.

Notice that I said community, not just "campus." While Blacksburg will quickly become your home — for some of you it already is — the Hokie community, regardless of where you are, will always be your home. This community comes together during the good times, the bad times and all of the times in between. In any part of the world, I can guarantee you that you will find a Hokie who will go out of their way to make you feel at home. I can guarantee you that the community that you feel when you're on campus will be with you even when you're off campus. I can guarantee you that there isn't another community as genuine and real as the community you get from the Hokie nation.